YZ250 2004 2 stroke....weird tinny/clunking sound coming from engine??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
Hi there. Lately ive been noticing a weird kind of noise coming from my engine as im riding. Seems to be more so happening at high rev's/speed and happens intermittently. It kind of sounds like 2 big chunks of metal clunking together or like a piston or something is loose and hitting another piece of metal. The engine still runs, starts and has compression and I am still able to ride the bike but i just thought the sound it was making might be a sign it was on it's way out. I wouldn't of thought it would be a normal sound. Just wondering what it could be? Thank you in advance :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yammieman said:
It kind of sounds like 2 big chunks of metal clunking together or like a piston or something is loose and hitting another piece of metal. the sound it was making might be a sign it was on it's way out.:)

Could be a worn piston causing piston slap or a worn rod bearing letting the piston hit the head or a detonation problem. Take it apart and inspect it.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
Ol'89r said:
Could be a worn piston causing piston slap or a worn rod bearing letting the piston hit the head or a detonation problem. Take it apart and inspect it.

cheers for the reply mate :)
i didn't take it apart but i did use a compression tester and has full compression in it, so possibly not the engine/piston or rings.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
A worn piston would not be caught with a compression test. You could have a ticking bomb and not know it until the piston fails. If it's a cast piston (all stock and OEM pistons are cast) it needs to be replaced after 40 hours or so. When was last time that was done?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yammieman said:
cheers for the reply mate :)
i didn't take it apart but i did use a compression tester and has full compression in it, so possibly not the engine/piston or rings.

No worries mate. It will take itself apart soon enough. :nod: :yikes:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
No worries mate. It will take itself apart soon enough. :nod: :yikes:

To quote Mike Perry from Kibblewhite:

"it suffered an energetic dis-assembly" :yikes:

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
RM_guy said:
A worn piston would not be caught with a compression test. You could have a ticking bomb and not know it until the piston fails. If it's a cast piston (all stock and OEM pistons are cast) it needs to be replaced after 40 hours or so. When was last time that was done?

never had a rebuild done before. as soon as i changed the spark plug it was fine though. bike runs at full power and all....just makes a kinda tinny noise. i have a youtube video of it but can't link yaz cos the site won't let me post links

Top Bottom