Yz250 Steering/cornering Issues

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
I have a 2007 YZ 250 2-Stroke. Although I'm generally fond of the bike, I have struggled with the steering and cornering since day one. I have had both the front and rear suspension done, set the sag, slid the forks up a bit in the triple clamps etc. this has helped however the cornering still seems vague and unpredictable for the most part. I used to ride CR's (250's 500's) and felt that I could corner more accurately, aggressively and confidently with these models. I have seen aftermarket triple clamps which change the steering head angle of the bike to (I assume) address this issue. Has anybody tried any of these (Applied Racing, Ride Engineering) and have any feedback, good results, with these products? Any info appreciated.
KSP

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I don't have a brilliant reply but, I might remember you from dirt week? Are you from NM?

I love most things about the YZs...the engine, suspension, quality. But have felt the same as you, they never quite want to handle in corners like a CR. You can move the forks up in the clamps until you get headshake, then back down slightly, sounds like you already tried that. Make sure you have the right front tire and the knobs are sharp. Not like the rear where it rounds off and you still run it for awhile. You could play with tire pressure. In some conditions, I find the lowest pressure you dare before pinch flats works the best. 11 psi-ish? But then if you are jumping and there are sharp edged holes that could be an issue. Also if you are like me, as we get older we get a bit lazy with the body movement...as far as shifting weight forward coming into a corner.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've considered decreasing the sag to bias the front end. My 05 is reliable, powerful, and fun but even after the most recent updates it still doesn't turn. Even running the IMS tank full doesn't seem to help.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Worth a try for sure. I think they are made to run around 4", I used to run more like 3.75" and thought it worked well on the CRs and RMs I had. I think if you go much less than that, it starts messing with how the rear suspension system works. Woods guys tend to run a bit more sag if anything. Of course the KTMS without link are a different story.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I have a 2005 (big tank, heavier flywheel, etc) and don't seem to have this issue... Odd.
The only thing I notice is how light the front feels, kind of twitchy, but always thought a steering damper would fix that. Just went out and checked and the fork tubes are flush with the triple clamp too. Renegade did the fork and shock for my weight when I got the bike from my son (long story), will ask him what he did when he rebuilt them.
mully

Top Bottom