TaintedBlu3

Aug 5, 2008
ok I want a 250cc 2 stroke bike but I'm stuck between 2 brands, Yamaha or KTM? I like Yamaha because they been building bikes for a long time, well at least longer than KTM. They also tend to have good quality bikes. KTM I'm not sure on their quality, but love the looks of their bikes and people say they love their motors. so has anyone ridden either of these bikes and can tell how they perform and last? Also I'm looking to buy a brand new '09 model.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
building bikes a long time, eh?

After expanding Yamaha Corporation into the world's biggest piano maker, then Yamaha CEO Genichi Kawakami took Yamaha into the field of motorized vehicles on July 1, 1955.
KTM Sportmotorcycle AG is an Austrian motorcycle manufacturer. The company was founded in 1934 by engineer Hans Trunkenpolz in Mattighofen. It started out as a metalworking shop and was named Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen. In 1953 KTM began producing motorcycles.
in other words, pick your favorite color, or whichever has the best dealer support.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, the dealer support is important. There won't be a huge difference in performance, so go with whatever you have support for.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
TaintedBlu3, you are not giving us any information regarding what you want to do with your new bike. What are you riding now, etc.?

Please see the "Help Us Help You ...How to help get advice on bikes" thread at:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=108916

You will get some more useful advice here, if you help us out!

TaintedBlu3

Aug 5, 2008
ok guys i didn't look up the facts on how long these companies have been building bikes. Basically i would ride on a lot of trails, some hills, woods and a couple of tracks. Also I'm 5'11", 167 lbs, and I've been riding my crappy chinese dirt bike for a year now.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Finding aftermarket and replacement parts for the YZ will be quite a bit easier. As for the KTM, here is something to think about:

I read a very long and detailed article about the KTM 250sx vs. the 250xc and the panel of multiple professional as well as amateur riders concluded that unless you are going to be riding 90% motocross they all preferred the 250 XC over the 250 SX. The sx is very specific to riding in mx situations. The xc, however, might have been slightly heavier but was much more comfortable, RELIABLE/DURABLE (that's huge), and all around a better performer in every discipline other than Motocross. The xc performed very well on the mx track but with the slight addition in weight and softer suspension set up it was not as competitive on the track. Every single rider stated that if they were not trying to race motocross competitively that they would all choose to have the xc over the sx, so if I were you and I decided to go with the KTM over the YZ, then I'd absolutely go with the xc over the sx. Hope that helps you out a bit...

Top Bottom