dickerson

Feb 9, 2007
I am looking at a 2000 yz426f, was looking for some information on this bike. I have ridden a CR 250 and KDX200. How reliable they have been and how much difference I will see in riding this bike on trails mostly? Also looking at a 1996 YZ250, but the YZ426f is in excellent shape for about the same money.

Thanks,
Darren

dickerson

Feb 9, 2007
I purchased the YZ426F, could not be happier with the bike. Have not had any problem starting, just follow the procedure and fires right up 1st or 2nd crank. The guy I bought it from mentioned that you could change the cam to make it start easier without the using the decompression lever. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Darren

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I strongly oppose motorracer 13's comment. Getting the cam from an 03 450 is slightly larger than the 426 cam. This produces an extreme amount of wear on the valve train for just 2 extra horsepower. The only excuse for needing a hotcam for auto decompression is if you have knee problems or over 50 years old. My 12 year old son can kick over my 426. Your not going to get the routine down right away, give it some time, just dont throw money at something you think is a problem.

By the way, once you get the routine down, you will be the only person who knows how to start your bike. If your friends ask to ride it, tell them they have to start it themselves, you'll get a kick out of it knowing that you were in the same boat when you first bought the bike :laugh:

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
I have an 01, and no I dont have the 03 cam in it. Now my long time riding budy did have an 02 with the cam for the auto decompression setup in his. The cam had the same specs acording to the dealer that sold it to him. It had no "hop-up" feel after the swap at all. and yes it was easier to start, but any fourstroke rider that was around before the big boom of the new four strokes came and if the know what a decompression lever does can start it.
I was just mentioning the year of cam that GMC was talking about.

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
Sorry missed "hotcam" my buddy's was a stock replacement. I will read better next time I promise. By the way I won a coke at a Major local shop when the salesman said I couldnt start a 426 they had for sale! Of corse he was stupid, said other than the frame there was no diff in an 05 yz450f and an 06!

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
When I had my bike serviced at a local shop, the mechanic had to call me up because he could not get the bike started. I showed up and started it on the second kick. He was amazed that my 12 year old son could also start it with no problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom