acetherizzle

Sep 16, 2006
I just bought a used 2003 yz450f. it runs great and handles real well, but after I release the throttle the bike tends to backfire quite a bit. I tried cleaning the air filter, i changed the oil, put in higher octaned gas, and rode it to clean it out but it just keeps backfiring. I heard that some backfiring is normal though. does anyone have suggestions?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The first thing to do is make sure you don't have any leaks in the exhaust system at the head pipe or the muffler joint that could be pulling in cool air and contributing to the back firing. Second thing is you want to make sure the air jet passages in the back of the carb are clean and the pilot jet isn't partially blocked. Assuming all those things check out you can richen up the pilot circuit to minimize the backfiring , but keep in mind that these bikes run best when a small amount of backfiring is present.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
They do tend to backfire on decelleration.

If the backfire is excessive, check the exhaust system for air leaks. Make sure the copper o-ring at the head is good and also check where the silencer connects to the head pipe for leaks

Also, check your valve clearance.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Oops, sorry Rich.

Looks like we posted at the same time.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
LOL, great minds thinking alike Terry :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom