'02 KX250 for Off Road racing? or CR/YZ?

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
I hope that this thread attracts people that have ridden the newer KX/CR/YZ !!
I have a dilema, I am putting my son through University and it's costing much more than I thought. I have to sell a bike, or two, in order to make this happen, in the short term. I was racing a 250F last year in the enduro's and HS but it's on the block.
I am able to get a brand new KX250 for a steal to replace it. I will have about $1000 in my pocket at the price that I will get the KX for to use for school.

I have ridden/owned the earlier KX's and being 5'7" I found that they were a little tall and large for woods riding and it would tire me out due to the size.
Are the '02's any different than the '93/96's? Would this make a decent woods bike for someone my size or should I hold out for a light '02 CR which might be more nimble?

Thx for the feedback!!

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
I forgot to mention that I can get the '02 KX250 for $3500 in the crate and a '02 CR250 for $4450 in the crate.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Either bike will do you fine in the woods with very minor changes. A rear spocket change, 2T bigger will get you there. You could drop one tooth in the front, like I have in the past, but I like the charateristics better when changing the back. If money is the biggest issue, go for the KX. Slide the front forks up into the triple clamps 5mm and maybe shave the seat foam. Of course, the best thing is to have the suspension resprung and revalved for your weight but that costs bucks. If your interested in a tricked out KX with a fresh engine, PM me. The Mamba is set up for a 160 lb rider, woods/lite mx, 13/50t sprockets, and many extras. Not necessarily looking to sell but might consider the option.

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
Thx for the reply. How about reliability? Have you had any pblms with the KX?
I know that the CR's have been notoriously reliable.

Top Bottom