deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Folks,

Here's the story...

We've got an '02 KX65 with a Wiseco piston, Boyesen Power Reeds (in perfect shape), and stock pipe. The carb has the stock #190 main, the needle jet dropped one notch, and the stock (I'm guessing--never looked at it) #25 slow jet. We're running 50/50 CAM-2 and 93 Amoco. The plug looks fine and throttle response is very nice. The airscrew was out about 1.5 turns.

She's always been hard to start, especially when it's cold. A real asspain. But even when it's cold, she doesn't like the choke. I need to start it with the choke out, but (after many, many kicks) as soon as it turns over, I have to push the choke in and keep it running by fanning the throttle lightly till it warms up. It won't idle with the choke open, no matter how much I play with it. However, once she gets started, warmed up and run the first time, it starts easily the rest of the day.

I bought a compression tester today. It checked out way up at 177 PSI. I've never tested it before, so I don't have any idea what it was when I first installed the Wiseco piston. The manual says 177 is too high and I should check for carbon buildup on the piston. I'll do that as soon as I have a gasket.

There has to be something I can do to make it easier to start. I'm getting old. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

deadhead

tzracer46

Sep 26, 2000
check your float level and also check the resitance in your stator windings. If your windings are going bad this could cause weak spark, especially if you have higher than stock compression. Weak spark will definately make the bike harder to start, but it may still run ok once you do get it started as the stater may generate enough power to run the engine at higher rpms but not enough to make it start well. Also check your spark plug cap with an ohm meter to make sure it's not burned out. you need to remove it from the plug wire to test it. it should have a resistance spec on it. most are 5k ohms anything higher than that and it needs to be replaced.

rmcmichael

Jun 27, 2002
First of all, I would recommend against a 50/50 mix of gas and oil :ohmy: (half gas and half oil?). I'm using 40:1 (that's 3.2 ounces of oil in every gallon of gas) in my son's 65SX. I'm only thowing that out there because I've seen that kind of thing before.

Next thing is to definitely check your ignition. Also, try a new plug and gap it to spec.

Third thing is to remove that pilot jet and find out what it is.

While the pilot is out, check the float level.

Those little Kaw's usually start first kick.................

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
CAM-2 is 110 octane, leaded race gas. Amoco 93 octane is gasoline, also. I use Mobil MX2T oil at 32:1.

I tried a new plug already. Gapped to spec.

The slow jet IS a stock #25. Soooooooooo, is that good or bad?

The float level is within spec. Would a high float level or a low float level cause the the engine to be hard to start when cold?

IMHO, small engines should run as much oil as possible. You're saving pennies by running 40:1. I hope to straighten this out and move to either 30:1 or 28:1.

Rand

Jul 12, 2016
I always had problems starting my son's kx65 when it was dead cold. After its started you can shut it off and it will start right up with a little throttle. The problem was when it was dead cold like when you let it sit over night. Took 20-30 kicks (or more) to get it going. So I looked at the owners manual and there it was. Page 17 under "Starting the engine". It says "Kick the engine over leaving the throttle closed". That was it. When its dead cold start it with no throttle. I also found that if you have the idle adjusted too high on the carb its the same as opening the throttle. So this is what made our 65 start cold first kick every time (1) cold start with the throttle off (2) adjust the idle as low as possible (3) make sure your throttle control on the handlebars has about an 1/8th inch play so that its not accidentally holding the throttle open. The bike cold starts first kick every single time now.

Top Bottom