'02 TM 400MX vs. '02 KTM 400SX

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I went with my buddy on Friday to pick up his new KTM 400SX from none other than Guy Perrett, in Kamloops. What a character, great guy to meet! Anywho, I brought my TM and we spent the past two days breaking in our new bikes. I spent about 15 minutes aboard the KTM, so I have a bit of comparison fodder but I'll have more after tomorrow. Here are my initial impressions:

KTM is lighter
TM has mo powa'
KTM has better forks
TM has better shock
KTM is roomier
TM turns better
KTM is easier to move around on, very slim
TM is wider, footpegs are high, front end feels more planted
TM has more decelleration braking than the KTM
KTM is quiet, almost XR-quiet.
TM is loud, almost YZF-loud.

KTM comes with o-ring chain.
TM comes with glide plate.
KTM comes with side access air filter.
TM.. uh.. doesn't.. but lets not talk about that.
KTM has goofball fasteners
TM has goofball fasteners

KTM now has Acerbis riding pants burned onto the head pipe
TM now has ****-Tex jacket sleeve burned onto the head pipe

KTM came with briefcase, tool kit (sweet bottle opener), manual.
TM came with nothing, not even a triangle stand.

The TM is sexy, the KTM is handsome.

And the verdict is?

I still think I made the right choice, but I think I would have been just as happy if I had bought the KTM. Both bikes are excellent. If I were to do it again, I'd still buy the TM, I like it's attitude.

I'll update tomorrow night.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I am sure both are great bikes. I do want to comment on the power. The KTM can make a LOT more power with some jetting attention.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.. If the KTM starts making more power than my TM, I may start wishing I had bought one. :)

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Hey Cam,
Don't worry too much...
I would assume that the TM will generate more power with some jetting attention as well. It would be great if my friend Les @ LT-Racing could get his hands on your bike for a few days to dial her in...

jeff

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Uh,...Mo-Power? Now you got my attention, I would love to through a leg over one of them TM's. :)
Seems these 400's are at their best when jetting is optimized,... Lets try some of the jetting mods and see how they compare.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
For whatever reason, the 400 SX is very much detuned compared to the 520. It has much less power than one would relatively assume. It's probably because KTM wanted to differentiate between the easy-to-ride cruising machine and the fire-breathing monster.

As a side note, I could never understand buying a bike that is the same size, weight and price as another bike that has more power (400SX vs. 520SX).

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
Cam,
"KTM has Better Forks" Say What?
You need to break-in those Ohlins and play with the settings. I don't think the WP will be quite as nice once that occurs.
The TM may be wider than the KTM but I have trouble squeezing the TM as it is with my knees. I don't know if thinner is always better.
BTW: I went up to 53(from 50) on the rear for this weeks Enduro to try and get more use from the 2-3-4-5 gears. That should get me off the clutch in the tight stuff. :aj:

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
I have ohlins forks on my gasgas ec300 - Top Quality and mine are valved for very good action in the woods. They do take a while to break in - once they do, it's the stuff dreams are made of...

jeff

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Strick, I'm not sure where you got that from but I know that's not what I meant to convey. Both bikes are great. It would be a shame to have you not participate in this thread, as you seem to be very knowledgable on the KTM but to each his own.

My TM has the Paioli 46mm USD forks, not the Ohlins. They aren't as bad as the magazines try to tell you, IMHO. The WPs were stiffer, which is why I liked them better.

The Ohlins shock, well, I forgot it was back there.. So it's working great!

I know what you mean about the wider bike being easier to grip with the knees.. But the narrow-ness of the KTM sure makes it easy to move around on.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by Anssi
As a side note, I could never understand buying a bike that is the same size, weight and price as another bike that has more power (400SX vs. 520SX).

As my riding buddy says, The 520 wears him out faster... and this is coming from a 6'4" 210 lb. stack of muscle. (won't even consider taking off my shirt around him, just embarasses me ;) )

He prefers the 400 for the type of riding we do.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I second that.. I'm 6'5 and 285lbs on a good day. Most people think I'm nuts for not riding a KX500.. Been there, done that, I owned one for three years. I'm faster on a 125. I've found nirvana on a 400 thumper, more power doesn't equal faster lap times.

Top Bottom