GWO

Jul 15, 2000
I rode my new yz 250 two stroke in a hare scramble today. It was only my second ride on the new scoot. The first ride was just to break her in. My old bike was a '00 ktm 300 exc.

Current mods:
FMF Turbine Core II - USFS spark arrestor
SCOTTS triple clamp and steering damper
Renthal Fat Bars - 971 or RC bend. I'm 6'2 and these bars are tall with little sweep.

Planned mods:
e-line lighting kit
Tall seat foam.
Factory Connection suspension mods for enduro. I weigh 210 and will need the stiffer springs.

Comments:
The power is very smooth, but revs too quick for the woods. The e-line kit will add 10oz to the flywheel which should be just about right.
The handling is good. The bike feels flickable and neutral and pretty much goes where I point it. And it should handle even better when I get the right springs and valving.
The suspension beat me to death. I did not back off the compression (left at stock settings). I'm sure that would have helped but I didn't do it and suffered for it.

One thing that irritated me greatly was how "notchy" the shifting was. It really messed up my downshifting where I couldn't be sure of what gear I was in. I believe this is because the transmission gears haven't worn in yet. Is that right? It seems like my two KTM's where the same way, but I rode them quite a bit before I raced them and can't seem to remember.

Thanks,

Last edited:

millwright

Aug 23, 2001
If you can take a little beating leave your suspension alone it will break in nicely and I mean nicely. As for your notchy shifting that will get better in time as well at least mine did. The only thing that really bugs me is that I seem to have alot of missed shifts between 1st and 2nd gear. I also used to ride a KTM as well a 00' 250 mxc.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I backed off the clicker on mine untill the suspension broke in....the forks took a while! ;)

Shifting will get better. if you haven't, change out that stock fish oil for something else I bet you see an improvement:D

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I second the suspension break in

The before and after for me was marked.
It will get better.

Top Bottom