GNCC387

Sponsoring Member
Apr 21, 2002
I was wanting to know what the best mods and parts were for woods racing on the 03 125 sx. I am going to go pick a new one up tomorrow.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
My son finally got to really ride one this weekend. I mean he hammered it for the day on saturday in PA's finest rock infested trails.

He normally rides a TM125E and is a mid to top level B harescramble rider.

The first hour he hated it, Then by noon he was having some fun. He said the bike wants to be Ridden. It works much better when you are flying. Tight technical stuff is hard to manage. You had to drop a leg and muscle the bike on "goat" trails. It would get old in a 2 hour race :(

One major flaw was the steering from lock to lock is very short in comparison to a 450 exc. We moved the stops inward but the forks hit the radiator cap. I hear there is a kit to relocate the CDI box and move the radiators a tad.

Power and traction was good but low end could use flywheel weight.
Suspension felt good and looked good to me as he rode. Stock seat felt hard but wasn't that bad.

I think I would look at a pipe, reeds, flywheel, thinner base gasket, for the motor. Suspension seemed OK for junior he is approx 165Lbs. Bike felt light and very easy to stay in an agressive position.

Enjoy the new ride :)

Last edited:

GNCC387

Sponsoring Member
Apr 21, 2002
Thanks for the info. I am also a b rider in hare scrambles and i was already thinking of buying a doma pipe and a v-force reed block for it.I was also looking into the 18 mm offset triple clamps.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
The Doma pipe and V-Force reed block work excellent when combined with revised jetting. Use a DDJ needle with the clip in the second position, a 188 main and 50 pilot. The stock 125sx needle is way too rich.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
Mike I gotta disagree about the low end needing a FWW..i'm 200lbs with gear and the bike pulls me around nicely in the woods...I ride seniorA. I've NEVER ridden a 125 with bottom/torque feel like this bike has.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Grunk,

In comparison to the KX and RM Junior rode you are very correct. I am 230 and the SX needed very little clutch to keep me moving. The hampered steering made me use the clutch and made the bottom seem worse. Our TM that was setup by Eric is an unfair comparison tool. I am sure the KTM with Eric's grinder would become a stump puller to say the least.

Mike

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
Mike I put the applied radiator spacers in and moved the CDI box ahead slightly with the kit that came with the WER damper....and bingo, much greater lock to lock adjustment...it's fine now....also revalving the suspension made the bike SO much more fun....NOW i'm totally happy.

Top Bottom