elf

Jun 7, 2003
I can get a great deal on 03 rm 250. Does any one know if you can put 04 clamps on the 03? I have heard the 04 has less tendency to headshake because of the new clamps have less offset giving the bike more trail.I know they also changed the shock linkage but I dont think that would affect the headshake. Any thoughts?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
My 04RM125 has the same top clamp as the 03 as i have a 03 pro taper clamp fitted now.I didnt think they changed the offset and the fact the 03 still fit seems to support that.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Marcus In your favorite mag. MXA they said they changed the offset on the 250 not the 125.(They said it was a little known fact) Apparently this makes the 250 a little more stable.Its just that I can get a used 03 for around 3 grand which is Like new the guy was hurt almost all summer.

MX317

Nov 21, 2000
The RM250 is different for sure. My friends old top clamp would not fit his 04 because of different offset. You could change both top and bottom, but you would not have the new offset.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i would just keep it as is, i watched all them guys race today and they arent going fast enough for headshake. :)

BTW Jeff: i think the 01-03 RM125 and 250 use the same aftermarket clamp so although one has a 46kyb and the other the 47showa they will interchange- i seem to remember i mounted my yz forks in my rm once when i had way too much time on my hands, i think the kyb was smaller by less than 1mm so they sinch up in the top clamp ok- right now this has started me thinking about sticking the showas in the YZ, LOL

Last edited:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Well shocknut you seem to be more well informed than the rest of us.

{i would just keep it as is, i watched all them guys race today and they arent going }fast enough for headshake.

Bruce I have to tell you I ride alot faster than those guys. LoL! Love your avatar by the way.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I don't think so elf, I know you guys are all more informed then me now. Send me to Bolivia or somewhere I might be useful digging pits. I do however consider myself to be informed well enough not to ride a KTM(marcus told me, marcus taught me everything I know, blame him)...c'mon Jer bring it!!!

Who's bike is it your looking at? I know Weisbrod had one for sale that was in pretty good shape and he wasn't asking enough for it in my opinion. I'm not sure if he sold it yet or not but he was in that price range and he was hurt most of last year.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i havent seen my avatar ever since okie revalved the forum- can you see it? all i get is a red X!!!

elf, i would really not worry about it. buy that bike and go ride....its got to be better than that KTM of yours, right????hehehehehe.

btw. ive never had any headshake on my little rm, but alas, i am sub MXA speed!!!

MX317

Nov 21, 2000
It does not matter that the lower tubes are 46mm vs 47mm you don't clamp there. The upper tubes are the same diameter. I just looked at my tag catalog and the 00-03 RM 125 and 250 have the same part number and one was Showa the other KYB. The complete clamps will interchange, just not the top due to different offset.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL-- i dont think you can- a guy on a local forum was muttering about keeping his RG3 clamp from his 03yz and putting it on his 04 but couldnt, so in this case it seems that they made the outer tubes thicker, dont know how much. but i think you can get a set of applied top and bottom clamps for around $300 so that would work- either that, or just ask marcus :clue: - he can make anything fit and might give him somthing to think about while he was waiting for the rain to stop!!!! :eek: <---i like this guy!

My advice, go down to your local dealer and stick a pair of calipers up your sleeve- when they are not looking, measure them! :cool:

MX317

Nov 21, 2000
I know you are joking shocknut, but to answer you the upper diameters are different on the yz's. I had an 03 and an 04 and the upper tubes are bigger on the 04.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Who's bike is it your looking at? I know Weisbrod had one for sale that was in pretty good shape and he wasn't asking enough for it in my opinion. I'm not sure if he sold it yet or not but he was in that price range and he was hurt most of last year.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a lot of zuki riders are hurt. Hmmm .. I wonder if it has anything to do with the bike. :laugh:
I have been looking at afew different bikes. I dont remember any of the names. Seems like a good time to buy used there selling them pretty cheap.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom