1984 RM80 not hitting powerband, Need advice?

laramik

May 20, 2010
I have recently acquired a 1984 Suzuki RM80 for the low low price of free. It runs. It looks like hell, but it does run and idle fine and appears to have a nearly brand new piston. Compression could be better due to old reused gaskets but all in all once she is all warmed up she runs relatively well. Parts for this bike aren't super easy to come by, so I am going to fix what I can as needed I guess. One thing that does seem odd is that the bike is not seeming to hit powerband. Jetting is okay per the local dealership so I am pretty darn sure its not that. The exhaust setup is the original stock pipe connected to a Pro Circuit silencer. It shoots out some black spooge when revved high out the back of the silencer. I don't know if thats normal but I am guessing that it could benefit from a thorough cleaning, but my experience with 2 strokes is limited as the only other thing I have had were a 2003 banshee that never required any work and a currently non running 1997 CR125. I have done some searching on the site and I believe that this current powerband issue is more than likely related to the exhaust but I am unsure of where I should proceed from here in terms of diagnosing and solving the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Something that the old-school two-stroke bikes would recommend is to de-carbonize the pipe and muffler. You need to buy a can or two of hi-temp barbeque paint first. Second, you take and build a really hot campfire in your back yard, and then you place the expansion chamber and muffler into the center, then surround them with coals and blazing logs. I'm not kidding, it's worked great for me - Your pipe will get to 1200 - 1700 degrees and that'll burn off all tars and oils. Let the fire burn out and let the pipes cool. Then pick them out and bang on them with a stick. Once you knock out the carbon, repaint the pipes with the barbeque paint.

You'll be surprised at the difference, and it might very well clear up your top-end performance.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No powerband means the top end is not correct, or it could be a bad bottom end, but? Check the compression numbers. A clogged pipe is another issue for sure. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom