grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
I bought a 1986 KX250, as-is, NO SPARK. Tested stator, nothing! Bought a new stator from Ricky Stators. Stator is showing 40-60 volts from the black w/red wire (large coil), and 383 amps. The white w/green and white w/red wires (small coil) shows .7-1.5 volts with my digital meter. Those same wires show 7 amps. I contacted Ricky Stators and they said my stator readings are what they should be. Next, I put my coil on another bike. It started right up! I put the coil back on my bike. THEN, I tried 3 different USED CDI boxes..NO SPARK! I'm not quite sure about the stator to CDI wires. My stator has white w/green stripe, white w/ red stripe, black w/red stripe, black w/yellow stripe. The CDI box has white w/green stripe, white w/red stripe, black w/yellow stripe, and 2 black w/white stripe, and green w/white stripe. I attached colors to colors except the black w/red, it is connected to one of the black w/white on the CDI box, it also goes to the kill button. (I disconnected the kill button for now) The other black w/white from the CDI is going to the coil. The CDI wire going to the coil reads 40 to 60 volts, the same as the stator! . NOTHING FROM THE COIL! I wired this according to a 1986 KX250 manual that the used parts place had. I couldn't find a CDI with the black w/red wire, only black w/white. I actually took the bike to the place and swapped parts there in the parking lot. What is going on? :yikes: PLEASE, ANY HELP????????? :bang:

Attachments

• 1986 KX250.jpg
    1986 KX250.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
I'm ordering the correct CDI box, has all the correct colored wires! I think that is the problem. The used parts place will refund my money for the used CDI box if it is returned within 7 days. I'm taking it back on monday. Any info will still be very helpfull!!!!!!! Has anyone had a situation close to this??? :think:

Last edited:

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
I put on the right CDI box. Now has bright blue spark!! Wont run, only backfires....changed the plug....backfires! I think the timing is off??

Last edited:

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
pain in the azz kick start!

I hear a lot about the kick start on these kx250 being chit! Mine is chit! Hard to test for problems with chit kick start. Any one know what usually causes them to slip? I mean other than previous owners abusing them. LOL. What parts might I need? :yell:

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
1986 Kx250 Funny **** Here!!!!!!

I pull started the 1986 KX250 due to chitty, useless, poorly designed kick start!! It runs......BACKWARDS!!! :yikes: There are no timing marks on my stator plate..only the line I scribed on it for reference before I removed it to replace the stators. Engine backfires....then runs backwards (runs pretty well too):bang: I retarded the timing, still runs backwards...NOW IT HAS MORE POWER!!!! :coocoo: Retarded the timing more, backfires....sputters.... :bang: The plug is clean, bright blue spark! WTF???? Should it be retarded even more?:bang: This is getting quite retarded!

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
It has the wrong flywheel on it!!!!! It's off of a KX80!!!! Someone, somewhere, put a bunch of stupid chit on this bike! I made it work on the KX250 for now though. :nod: Re-keyed it so the timing marks line up with the piston at TDC!!! It fu##ing rips!!! NOT IN REVERSE!!! :nener: Damn, I'm glad I didn't part it out!!!! :yikes:

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
Thanks, now I need to fix the kick start. I'm pushing or pull starting it for now. I'll also need to get the right flywheel, because it has a slight vibration from the wrong flywheel. I don't want to ruin the engine! It was worth the time though! :ride:

Attachments

• Aarik KX250.jpg
    Aarik KX250.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

grubbennett

Jul 28, 2012
The guy I got the bike from had the original flywheel!! He gave it to me, I installed it, and it works perfectly and it's in the original position on the crank!! Now I have to get to work on the kickstart issue :bang:

Top Bottom