1988 CR 125 ran great 2 years ago, haven't used it since, what now?

Aug 1, 2008
Hi there,

I've got a 1988 Honda CR125 that always ran like a champ. In the summer of 2008 it ran perfectly (all season I believe). In 2009, I don't remember when, but it started spitting oil out of the exhaust pipe. I don't believe I ever got it out on the trails (I only ride trails, no track/racing) in 2009. It's now the summer of 2010.

So, can someone please explain to me the steps I need to take to get this thing going again. It's really too bad, but the local repair shops want nothing to do with an "old" bike like this.

Some extra info:
  • I've never "winterized" it properly, but it's always just started right up in the spring.
  • When it's running, I only ride it once a week (if that), for maybe 2-4 hours per ride.
  • I changed the oil at the beginning of last year (which maybe caused the spooging? Maybe I did something wrong)
  • It got a new top end MANY MANY years ago, but I really haven't ridden it much.
  • I've never had to touch more than the idle screw on the carb

Here's what I need to know...

Because it's been sitting so long, what do I need to do to get it running again (change fluids; if so, which ones? clean carb? empty gas tank? etc.)

What do I need to do to fix the oil spitting out of the tailpipe? I know nothing about "jetting" carbs, but I could probably handle learning if you think that's the problem. Also, I've read it could be a gasket, or the rings? Hopefully you have some idea. haha.

Should I just hire a freelance mechanic off of Craigslist or something? Be honest.

Any help is appreciated (I'm no mechanic)! The local shop owners don't want to give it! :(

Aug 1, 2008
I should mention that the oil that was coming out of the tailpipe was pretty dark... and was "spraying". Every time I revved the engine, it would spray out... So, it isn't thick and globby. Maybe I should get it running first (with your help!), THEN deal with the oil issue???

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Clean carb for sure. You are probably due a new top end and my best guess for the spitting oil is your clutch side main seal needs to be replaced. Honestly, I'd split the cases, put in new main bearings and seals. Inspect lower bearing on the crank. Have someones measure and inspect your cylinder and install new piston, rings, pin and bearing.
Clean your air filter while you're at it. And you should really change your transmission oil every 10 hours of riding or so.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
assuming this is a serious post here you go. this list is a bare minimum of what needs to be done
you are blowing out gas that has leaked down into the case. shut off gas valve when not in use
new gas in tank
clean carb- check float, float valve, and height.
clean and oil air filter
clean pipe and repack silencer
change trans fluid
new top end and check for play in the rod, crank. side to side play is good on the rod but NOT up and down play.

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks!

Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips. So, it sounds like I've got to do the following, to get started:
1) Clean carb (check float, float valve, height)
2) Clean and oil air filter
3) Check/change trans fluid n(which I'll do a LOT more now)
4) New top end (piston, rings, pin, bearing)
5) If I get it running well, I'll clean pipe and repack silencer (it's very oily right now afaik; suggests improper mixture?).

So, that should get the engine running again... but what is the concensus on the oil spooging issue? It seems to me it's probably mixed gas that has leaked down into the case (as ellandoh has suggested). It seems to "watery" to be straight oil. I definitely don't shut the gas off between rides... is this a typical "must"?

While I have the whole thing apart maybe it'd be wise for me to do as 2strokerfun suggests and split the cases... new bearings and seals.

Howser

Jun 1, 2010
what ratio have you been mixing your fuel and what kind of oil? whatever you do dont cheap out on oil and spend the extra few bucks on the good stuff. id be mixing your fuel between 32:1 and 40:1. get a good measuring cup
as far as the carb cleaning, totally disassemble the carb and spray carb clean in all the jet ports and use compressed air to clean it out. do the same with each jet.when you have a float off the carb inspect the needle and seat, if your needle and seat have worn past its limit then when you leave your fuel on it will leak fuel down into to base of your engine. make sure your float height in where it needs to be. get on ebay and find a service manual for your bike it will be the best thing for you and your bike

Aug 1, 2008
I think I've been mixing at about 32:1, though it's been quite some time. Admitedly, I probably haven't been as precise as I ought to be. I will be ordering a service manual on Ebay (there are a couple). Thanks folks. I'll post an update once I've done some things...

Top Bottom