93RM801

Nov 6, 2009
A couple of questions about the head gasket on a 93 RM80.

1. Can a liquid-only gasket be used? Something like the Permatex Liquid Copper? Will some of that black rubberized gasket-making material hold up the compression of this engine? I've never seen it done..but was curious if any one else has tried it.

2. If not, where on earth can a find a Head Gasket for this bike. My local dealer went belly-up earlier this year, and my search of various mx parts sites online didn't turn up much.

3. Is there anyway to verify the year of my engine in the bike? I assume it is the original from 93...but don't know if it was swapped at some point in the past..

OK - Now I'm thouroughly confused (I'm not a bike mechanic...so bear with me). I called a dealer an hour away and they said that there is NO gasket, just the two ruber O-rings (which I have). So...do you use some kind of high-temp rtv between the mating services, or anything? It seems like these o-rings by themselves would not contain the pressures caused by the piston, but maybe I'm off base. Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
so, if your engine have o´rings, then they are the head gasket. and yes they will hold up very well the pressure. most of times when convencional head gasket fails on a street bike, a conversion to o´ring will do the trick.

some like to add some permatex copper to improve the heat transfer and have a better seal but if o´rings are new and surfaces lapped (as it should be always!!) there is no need.
always use original o´rings. or the ones designed for that purpose, just don´t buy the first you will find because more likely it will burn up...

check MX-south or service honda for parts. have the link on top left of the page.

for knowing the year you have to call a local dealer and ask them. you will need the vin that is stamped on the frame, on the steering head.

Top Bottom