1996 Honda CR80R Mystery Problem...

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Last year our 1996 CR80R felt as if it blew out some teeth on first gear showing symptoms of skipping and hopping in first gear just slowly cruising along. I checked the chain and the sprockets so I determined it would be something internally. After disassembly I found no teeth missing and all the transmissions gears looked perfectly fine. Could the gears possibly be rounding off? Is there somewhere else I should look that would be causing this skipping/hopping ONLY in first gear? :cool:

Please give me some pointers, not sure exactly what to look for. I appreciate ANY help. :)

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
The dogs on the sides of the gears can become rounded off causing it to jump out of gear. What about the shift forks? Bent or excessive wear can also cause this. Check the spring and latch on the end of the shifter drum to make sure it is in good condition and indexing proper. Just some things to check.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Not sure if this makes a difference but it never jumps out of gear when it does this. It always stays in gear.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Uh maybe your clutch?

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Upon closer inspection it seems that there is tabs on one of the gears that goes into another gear for first gear to engage. It seems these tabs are rounded off :think: . Will be buying a new clutch too so might as well replace the whole transmission since one gear is $40.

Top Bottom