kevf

Apr 12, 2003
anyone have any info or pics of a CRE 250 . I recently purchased a 96 cr 250 that has been set up for the woods i would like to find out more info on what the CRE had as far as mods for the woods. thanks

RVL

Mar 3, 2000
I owned one of the origiinal Italian made CREs made in 1994. The later ones were home brew specials from Kevin Hines with some of the Italian parts.
The CRE was a 1994 CR250 with a lighting system, similar to the eline kits of today, with a hi-low headlight, a horn, a rear fender subframe, a combo rear fender/taillight from acerbis, and a fold up centerstand. The engine was totally stock. They geared it up by using a 47 rear sprocket. That made the gears more "wide ratio". The engine was totally stock. The great enduro powerband it had was made entirely of the Acerbis plastic spark arrestor they put on them. I put a CR silencer on it, and it had the same power as my brother's 94 CR250. The spark arrestor took the hit from the middle of the powerband and put it up on top. It had insane overev. It had a much wider powerband with much less hit than the stocker.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I have a copy of the '96 Dirt Rider Enduro Shootout, and a Cycle World write up on a '93/4 model; can mail you copies if you e-mail me your snail mail addie, millenniumdsj@hotmail.com.

If I remember correctly, the earlier ones came from Italy and were gone thru quite well (the Italians know what they are doing); most had wide-ratio trans, a slight over bore (~260cc), center stands, fender-frame extension w/grab hook, lights & coil, 18" rear wheel, and UFO enduro rear fender. They were real lookers. For some odd reason the stock fuel tank was retained.

Primaily for the transmission and basic platform, I waited & waited for any to show up in SoCa, but they were too rare this way, and the only one I was able to find had the stock trans.

Later on it was rumored Big Red pressured (legally?) Hines to stop importing them (corporate wants us on XRs) so he brought in the kits only, to this day, and has built a respectable business converting other MXer brands too.

I've had the pleasure of taking a spin on Dave Wood's old '99, now owned by Dirt Bike Dave. Although this is an American conversion, it's an outrageous ride - the most perfect I've had the honor to pilot. It had Pioli (sp?) forks - worked like no other, and I can see why Honda (and owners) struggled with the suspension, even though they own controlling interest in Showa. Everything else fit and worked so well I could go fast from the get go, despite being setup for a heavier rider. The only thing short of perfection was a stock close-ratio trans., and even then that would be primaily for the desert.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
kevf,
Congrats on getting a CRE! For more info on the '96, you might want to contact e-line directly or check their web page, www.elineaccessories.com

There are some pics of the '99 in my gallery. As Placelast mentioned, bikes like mine are 'cafeteria specials' where the buyer selects and installs their own options. I was fortunate that Dave Wood put so much time and money into set up and goodies. Some of the peripheral equipment and options might be shared with older CRE's.

Kevin Hines uses Factory Connection suspension and I think they revalved many of the bikes. The Paioli forks and stock shock on my '99 were revalved by FC and it is the best suspension I've ever ridden on.

As you can tell, Placelast is not the only rider to fall under the CRE spell. I love this bike!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by placelast

Later on it was rumored Big Red pressured (legally?) Hines to stop importing them (corporate wants us on XRs) so he brought in the kits only, to this day, and has built a respectable business converting other MXer brands too. 

Yeah, that would be American Honda who shut that down.  They claimed that they soley owned the rights to import and sell brand new Hondas in the US.  What Kevin then did was purchase the kits from Honda of Italy, purchase new bikes from American Honda and then assemble them.  Then, Kevin decided that he could make some the kit parts better and cheaper than importing them and mix them with some other aftermarket parts that were available in the US.  So, the product line transformed over a period of years.

Then, Kevin decided not to limit his line to just Hondas.

One of the guys in my club had Kevin build him a '96 CRE 150.  It was a very trick and fast bike.  It was the last year for the non-aluminum frame CR 125, and the bike was loaded with goodies including the Paioli forks.  Jimbo had many top finishes in the 200A class on that bike.  Like these other guys have said, it was a work of art.

One of our other club members builds the ignition covers in his shop here in Alabama for the E-Line lighting kits.

kevf

Apr 12, 2003
I dont have a CRE unfortunately, i purchased a 96 cr 250 that was set up for the woods. The suspension has been revalved it also has devol radiator guards and skid plate,clarke extra capacity gas tank,acerbid headlight,acerbid enduro rear fender with light , subframe extension with grab bar,scotts rear disc guard,acerbid rally pro barkbusters, 14 oz flywheel and a different rear sprocket im not sure how many teeth ill have to check.It also has 2 of the carb hoses routed under the seat connected to a little box with a filter whats that for? I was just wondering if the cre had anything different done to it than my bike.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
kevf - I bet it's a lot more enjoyable in the woods compared to your 125... the bark still tastes the same though. ;)

I doubt there's much difference between your bike and a true E-Line (Kevin Hines) CRE. Ron spent a lot of time an $'s making that CR off-road capable for this area. Keep in mind that Ron's connections meant he could get a lot of the components cheaper than buying a complete E-Line kit.

A group of us are going over to Pittsfield (Mass.) state forest next Saturday. You'll need a street tag or Mass. ORV tag to be legal there.

kevf

Apr 12, 2003
woods..... The 250 is a totally different bike than the 125. Way more enjoyable i dont have to ride in fear over the roots and rocks wondering when the bars are going to get yanked out of my hands and im gonna hit the dirt. I dont think i would have made it out of the woods during the 50 mile turkey run without eating bark on the motx 125.Hes got it set up right the only thing im going to add is the steering dampner like you guys got. That turkey run was in pittsfield last week. I had a great time cant wait for the next one. By the way my plate has the red numbers and letters which designates it as a atv right. How would i go about getting a legal road plate for this bike? You have a road plate for yours how did you manage that your gas gas is a 2 stroke .

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by kevf
How would i go about getting a legal road plate for this bike? You have a road plate for yours how did you manage that your gas gas is a 2 stroke .
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! :moon: :scream: ;)

kevf

Apr 12, 2003
Most trees move but there are those stubborn ones who will not get out of the way. I guess ill have to pass on that info woods id like to be around to enjoy my bike.Ride on..........kevf

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
kevf - Are you going to race CATRA II on July 27th?
Stop by my office sometime... if I'm not involved in some useless drivel of a conference call... and I'll give you the info on getting a street plate. The only advice I can give you is don't use to run to the store for milk. The plate will make you "legal" for turkey runs and enduros. You'll also need insurance.

kevf

Apr 12, 2003
Ya maybe ill run up at catra i dont think i have anything going on that weekend. Ill know better in mid july. I have a 02 Triumph Speed Triple for street riding you probably seen it in the parking lot its green. The only reason for a street plate would be to check out the turkey runs and catra. Ill stop in......kev

Red rider86

May 8, 2017
So I have a 94 cre500. Anyone have any information on the value or its history?

Attachments

• client_PART_1476564318442_20161015_144408.jpg
    client_PART_1476564318442_20161015_144408.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,786

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
So I have a 94 cre500. Anyone have any information on the value or its history?
A 500 cc endur-o? Too much ponies for the tight and twisties. I had a nice 84 CR 500 R and it was most happy on long fire roads, large moto-x tracks, and huge dirt enviroments. I would go with a nice 125, 200, or a 250 for off road and woods riding...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom