duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
Well sunday was a beautiful sunny day and there was a foot of untouched powder on the trail :cool: . I couldn't sleep at home so I ended up arriving at 6am and was tired enough by then to catch some z's in the backseat. Young Ted woke me up at about 9:10 when he pulled up along side me. We got geared up and after 10minutes of kicking I got the wr to fire.
The trail was actually fairly easy to ride I didn't have any problems riding in Inca's tracks. I didn't get thrown around by his ruts, mostly because I keep the front end so light. Sitting that far back gave me great traction and kept me out of the trees, more than normal anyways. This technic worked especially well climbing hills and when I started to lose taction a seat bounce dug me right in and shot me forward. It scared me the first time when I wheelied part of the way up a hill :yikes: . Which goes to show just how much traction you can get with a seat bounce even in a foot of snow. Inca didn't do so great in the snow, Ted couldn't sit back as far as I could and the over spinning wore the screws down quick. Sometime past the half way point I desided I was going to turn Inca's screws around, because I was starting to exceed my target heart rate. It was a good work out but as the screws got duller I began spending too much time pushing down and forward on Inca's rear fender when it got steep and slippery.
My bike wasn't starting so well on the trail, before I was to rich and now I'm a little lean :think: . Of course riding so slow and not getting a good amount of powder on the engine made it even warmer. I had trouble restarting twice before I thought about using the hot start. What made matters worse was not being able to use my e-start because I didn't realize my rectifer was touching my exhaust and not charging the battery very well. This wasn't a big deal, it took 30seconds to fix. After that I just turned on my radiator fan and didn't shut the bike of when we stopped to take a break.
We only did the bottom loop, Ted had enough cardio for the day I had to get something to drink. I'd have gone back out but I'm still holding true to my New Years resolution. "I will ride every weekend and not ride alone".
All in all a great ride, the company was good and I got to blast up some sweet hills IN THE SNOW! :yeehaw:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Sounds like you had a good ride! I like your new year's resolution too! LMK if I can help you keep it!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
From The Other Crazy

Shawn said he’s never been considered normal and I needed the exercise. So it came to be that we started out CCW with me leading. With a base of maybe 6 inches, tracks from two bikes under another 6 inches of fresh snow, it wasn’t the easiest of riding for me. It wasn’t long before I knew that to make the entire loop was out of the question. The pictures were taken at the top of an open hill with a cool wind coming out of the east. To simply be out in the woods and snow was a pleasure that was mentioned. It was just before junction B that the first ‘not start’ time happened. Although the temperature was in the 20’s by now, I didn’t think the engine would cool down that much that quick, until I went to start mine and had to give it some choke. Guess the wind coming off the pond was plenty cool. We cut over to jct. S and didn’t see any more bike tracks. Then my traction kept getting less and less. Without Shawn I was essentially dead in the snow. My riding ability doesn’t allow enough speed to keep going with momentum. Still not being fully used to the four stroke throttle control I end up with more wheel spin to wear the screws down faster. Shawn’s turning of the screws made a world of difference. After that I could make the hills by paddling. All this time that wr would go just about any place. The auto clutch appeared to be the answer to extra wheel spinning. As for me leading, best it is forgotten. If Shawn hadn’t stopped me twice, I would have gotten us lost worse than Woodsy can. We finally did make it back to the lot but not before Shawn got into an argument with some trees in the process of skirting a downed tree on the trail.
We were gone from the lot for 5 ¼ hours, covered about 9 miles in about 3 hours of engine running time. For me it was the hardest ride I’ve ever done. Mud holes and hills on enduros are nothing in comparison. I give a big thank you to Shawn for putting up with me. I had no knowledge of Shawn’s riding goal and therefore satisfied to have been able to help him keep it.

Young Ted

Attachments

• Shawn.JPG
    Shawn.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Ted.JPG
    Ted.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 145

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Sounds like a great ride guys! I accepted an offer from a friend and spent the weekend outdoors myself. Got some seat time in on those funny looking machines with tracks and skis. It's always great to get out in the woods, especially when the weather was as great as it was. Ride on!

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
Well guys it looks like I'll be riding at or close to white cloud early saturday. I've got some work to do up there in the afternoon at my friends place. I haven't been able to convince them to go riding with me yet, but I'm gonna try to get one of them to follow me with the 4wd quad. So if anyone's interested let me know, I want to be done riding by 11am. :ride:

Top Bottom