CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Hey all,
It's time to get a new pipe for the KTM, since the original seems to want to continuosly crack. Welded it a couple times to make it thru the summer, but this time I have decided to replace since it is now all dented up as well.

I am curious as to what people have had the best luck with? The EE pipe, the pro circuits pipes, FMF, etc. I am leaning towards the EE pipe, but just looking for some other opinions.

Thanks for any imput.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
For your model bike the E3 is the best performance wise. Red PV spring, 38 pilot gets you some bottom end. Try a NOZH needle #2.

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Thanks Fred,
That is pretty much the setup I am running right now. This winter I plan on putting the SX piston and head on like you have. Any tips.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
CR250R@WINTERS said:
... I plan on putting the SX piston and head on like you have. Any tips.
Unless you've already done it, put your money into suspension instead...

Last edited:

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
I've got an E3. The E3's fit and finish is excellent. I can't tell a difference in the power vs. stock. If you are splitting pipes perhaps replacing the exhaust hanger rubber isolator brackets and header o-rings at a more regular interval would help?

I run stock jetting adjusting the airscrew as ambient temp changes. 2 turns out for 80 degrees and above. 1 turn out for 50 and below. I run 52:1.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I don’t know what the EE pipe is made from but I have always bought FMF pipes in the past precisely because they are made from thicker steel than the rest (18-19 gauge) and are much less prone to dents from rocks and sticks. The stock KTM pipe is about as sturdy as cardboard. I have two good size dents in my stock pipe and I have not hit anything with it yet! Just trail junk from the front tire puts dents in the stock pipe.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
For me FMF fit was not too good years ago. For my 03 ktm 250k, PC fit/finish/quality was excellent, but I wasn't very impressed with the performance. I guess I like stock pipes, but I never tried the EE E3.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
bbarel said:
For me FMF fit was not too good years ago.

Yeah, I have had to enlarge some bracket mounting holes in the past to compensate for inconsistencies in size/shape with the FMF pipes. They always fit but you may have to move your brackets around a little or enlarge some holes. I just assumed they are harder to manufacture consistently because of the heavier gauge steel. They hold up really well though……….can’t say that I ever remember denting one.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have dropped / crashed my bike on some pretty nasty rock (Drummond and Loose Moose), and the pipe is in perfect condition. The e-line pipe guard, however, does have some serious abrasion marks. It has easily paid for itself many times over.

Attachments

• Pipe_1.jpg
    Pipe_1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Pipe_2.jpg
    Pipe_2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 154

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I've had FMF, PC, and EE on different bikes over the years. I've liked them all. Currently running the EE on my KTM and it seems to have increased the usable power throughout the entire RPM range (this might just be a result of the motor freeing up or the rider slowing down) It does however seem prone to dents from normal use (front tire). If you invest in a protector or aren't overly concerned about dents IMHO EE would be a good choice.

As a side note I smashed 5 pipes off 2ts over the years including heavy gauge and the KTM stock pipe with e-line CF protector.

Unless you have specific comparisons for your year/model this thread could go on like an endless oil debate.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
On 2004 and newer KTM 250's the exhaust flange is suseptable to breaking if you use a pipe guard and transfer the impact to the flange. Now the cure is to buy an $800 cylinder so I caution any one in using a pipe protector on a newer 250. I'd take the dent in the pipe and blow it out for a lot less money. I bought a few E 3 pipe over the years used and I have 3 of them that I keep in rotation.

I have a wonderful friend that fixes them for me.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like there are many differing opinions on what works best, and that is pretty much what I expected. Just wanted to hear why. I have heard of the flange issues and that the EE pipe was a bit softer metal so as not to bust the flange. I like the flange protector, thanks Badgerman! So, I guess it is the EE pipe, flange protector and invent some pipe guard that doesn’t use the pipe to absord the impact!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
INCA said:
Another option Mike, you could wear a skirt and slow down.

Run that one by Amanda Mastin!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
fatherandson said:
But whatever you do....DO NOT fill Amanda's helmet with UP dirt...because she will kick your azz!

Not if you politely dump the sand out of her helmet, walk quietly away and buy an ISDE shirt from her. :cool:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
INCA said:
Another option Mike, you could wear a skirt and slow down.
:rotfl: :rotfl: Ted you are tooo funny

Top Bottom