D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Reno Ride 2005: Attendance two (2)

Here are some pictures I took waiting for highdesert to come up the gnarliest trail (I know of) at Moonrocks. He didn't make it.

Attachments

• IMG_0901s.JPG
    IMG_0901s.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0902s.JPG
    IMG_0902s.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 376

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
When highdesert didn't make it I took picture #0903 westward across the valley from the gnarly trail.

A couple hours later, after a break, after the sun came out and the mist subsided, we headed back across the whoops to the barbed wire gate at the wash. We were there earlier, but we turned around after encountering a lot of snow past the gate and no clear trail visible due to the fog. Rather than go through more whoops my plan was to follow the fence line to the road, and find a trail from there. I said it would be easy because the cows had beat down the snow for us. However, it turned out to be a snow drift three times as deep as the deepest snow we had encountered previously. No, my CR250 has no center stand.

Attachments

• IMG_0903s.JPG
    IMG_0903s.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0905s.JPG
    IMG_0905s.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 371

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
After going to and beyond the MX track near the pod racing washes, we hooked up with a group heading back. They encountered impassable snow ahead. We had gone down a long, steep, snow-covered hill and highdesert clued me in that we wouldn't be able to make it back up. DOH! So we followed these guys, who came in on and were leaving on a trail at the base of the hills that ran into the track. It turns out that trail takes you back to the gate and whoops.

We spotted a couple riders flailing their way up a nasty hillclimb I couldn't make last week on my recon ride. They couldn't make it either. But I had to try again, and highdesert snapped pictures. Making a hill feels better after others fail. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0906s.JPG
    IMG_0906s.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0910s.JPG
    IMG_0910s.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 374

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
The cows did better than us. There really wasn't a whole lot of snow yet we did a lot of snow avoidance. Most of the snow we had to ride through was fairly easy, like riding the Moonrocks sand. Nothing else came close to the snow in that CR250 picture.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great pictures! That hillclimb (first set of pics) looks pretty nasty. Glad SOMEONE got to go so we could live vicariously through you.

Natalie

HighDesert

Feb 14, 2004
Saturday was Excellent

That particular hill (the one I didn't make it up) was nasty, and outrageously long. I would guess it takes about 4 minutes from bottom to top, charging it the whole time. Probably the hardest hill I had ever tried. The bottom section was just super steep, and deep and loamy. There is this section that is basically a rock step-up that you have no choice but to hit. Second gear pinned, I hit that step-up and got all out of shape and started swapping back and forth. I lost my momentum so that was it. I was then pedaling up, pinned in 1st, sitting as far back as I could trying to get going again. I went about 50 more feet and fell over.

I didn’t want to be beaten by that hill, so I gathered it up, went down and took a little break, then hit it again. I hit that same rock section a little slower this time, but it was a little too slow and lost my momentum AGAIN. I got about 100 feet higher this time, then dumped it right on a sagebrush. By then I was pooped and still had lots of riding to do, so I figure I will give it another shot next time.

Overall it was a great ride. I haven’t ridden since Fall of last year, so I got “quite the workout”. It was very challenging in some areas, which was extremely fun. The snow made certain sections of the trail way more technical then it would ever normally be. I would say that the snow was still a limiting factor, so a lot of the moonrocks riding area is still inaccessible. I had a blast though.

Jamie

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well - we kept our plane tickets and flew out to Reno anyways. Had an awesome day of snow skiing at Heavenly in Tahoe on Friday. Got out to Moonrocks on Saturday afternoon, but the only riding we did was testing out the 4WD on the rental car. Saw about 20 vehicles out there and was jealous as the riding looked pretty good in spots. But as we went further down the access road, we found a lot more snow and slush. Even saw a kid sledding at Moonrocks near the staging area LOL!

Come on Reno Ride 2006! :ride:

Top Bottom