craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
What a challenging event! The expected rain never materialized so the trail was in great shape, a little slick, but mostly good traction.
The area is private land, managed by dirt bike riders/racers. Lots of mild and extreme elevation changes, mostly over thin soil with lots of gravel to bowling ball sized rocks interspersed. Exposed roots and a few large tree-falls were constantly encountered obstacles to overcome.
We were on row 9, so we began our quest at 8:09. The first loop start speed was 12 mph, slow enough to give everyone the chance to feel out the trail and traction until the fun started at mile 3. Speed was upped to 18mph. On a good day I can run 16mph at the 500. Not so here. From mile 3 on, I was treated to my pacemaker constantly blinking 'FASTER'. That's the readout when you are 2 minutes or so behind where you are supposed to be.
The 'new-to-me' KDX 220 was set-up well, with the auto clutch and S12s with flat-less foam tire inserts.
At one of several bottlenecks, the set-up got me through the situation. It was a hillside with the main line plugged with a couple of stuck/tired riders. Visualize stadium seating with 20 rows/lines available. Row 10 was the main line, and higher or lower rows were made/tried/plugged by later riders. I chose the highest line, since there was only one place that I'd have to deal with a stuck bike and get around. (as an aside, I get through these on my own and go on. If I get stuck, I'll pick a strong looking stuck rider and offer to help him if he'll help me out.) I made my run up to the high line, with 2 stops where I spun out. Got on the up-hill side of the bike with right hand on the throttle, and left hand on the rear fender/frame area. Feed in a little power and lift/guide the rear through/over the rock. Made the run across the high line with only a couple of spin-outs. Back on the trail with minimal energy expenditure....sweet!
The trail was pretty much single track, with virtually no open trail. There was not a lot of places to go fast, or relax. I easily remember at least 20 times where I heard both bark busters knock trees almost simultaneously. Many more times where I just stopped and 'kayak-rowed' the handlebars through the trees.
Lots of loose rock up-hills and down-hills. The S12s gripped very well and had a nice transition feel from spinning to gripping.
On the second loop, came upon another bottleneck, spent 15 minutes waiting for my turn since there was no alternate line. Uphill side was rock face, and downhill was slick into jungle/underbrush. Got hung up at the main problem spot, big rock would let the back tire spin downhill, and the bike would end up horse-shoed around a 3" tree. I had gotten far enough so that the tire was stopped by the tree, but was going to go downhill if I kept going. Rider behind me and I agreed to help each other. I got out and up pretty easily, and we struggled a bit to get him through.
Then the part that ended my day. Just starting after getting that guy going, the front wheel kicked on a root, I didn't have the strength to fight it and toppled over. The wheels were still on the trail, but the bike was laying downhill. In similar situations, I've just shoved the wheels and rolled the bike over the tank and handlebars so the wheels were on the downhill side. Couldn't here, so I had to bench-press the thing back up to the trail. I had pulled the helmet off to attempt the maneuver, but neglected to place it very handy. Since I wasn't able to lay the bike over, I had to reach down with my boot and stick it into the helmet to drag it up so I could reach it. (may end up with poison ivy on my ears!)
Not too far past that event, I came upon a spot where loop 1 had been ribboned off, sending loop 2 into some nastier stuff. Saw 4 riders waiting on an uphill, watching someone attempt something. All I heard was a screaming two-stroke and these guys looking uphill while draped over their handlebars. I u-turned and ducked under the ribbon to get back onto the 1st loop course. I was heading to camp with a smile still on my face. All I had to worry about was some mechanical issue stranding me on a trail that had already been swept, so my carcass would not be found until next year.
These are just a few of the things running through my head. There were many other moments of exhilaration, elation, terror, fatigue, self-doubt, anger. All in all, it was just a great day!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I thought check placement was awesome at this race. If you rode hot you were going to get burned and I love that. Check em in, check em out. The best rider wins.

I think I was at mile marker 81 when I noticed that I was 10 minutes from houring out. I put in a frantic last charge trying to get to the finish but it wasn't meant to be. I houred out on the first hill of the loop three only stuff and immediately went from bull headed/determined to being ready to call search and rescue to get me out of there. It was like someone flipped an on/off switch, I was done. Luckily they had some great helpers that helped me fight my bike up the last couple of hills and show me how to get back to camp without riding the last couple of miles.

There were 52 riders signed up for long course.
Only 18 riders made it thru all 13 checks.
I was one of 25 riders that made it to check 12.
That put me in second place A Senior. 21st Overall.

I'm tired.

Top Bottom