poppinsmoke

Apr 9, 2005
I am thinking about the mo better porting for my 97Honda CR250.
Current setup is stock save for a 10oz flywheel weight and a FMF gnarly pipe.
I am looking for some more bottom and to tame the snap.
Traction smooth controllability is the name of the game trying to make a woods missle.
I am not looking to increase just peak hp I am looking for more power under the curve.
Is the Mo Better porting what I am looking for?
Any other sugestions? Thanks in advance for any and all replys!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Never ridden a bike with Eric's porting, but I do know in his book he mentions the '99 CR250 cylinder is better for many riders. It has more mild porting, strong low end for a 250, and will get good fuel range with your '97 carb and electronics (mine goes over 70 miles at aggressive trail pace with a 3.2 gallon Clarke tank). Long piston & ring life, too.

The stock '99 pipe is also excellent for trail work. You may be able to swap cylinders/pipes with a '99 owner who races MX, or check the auction site for a deal.

For putting the power down, the e-line lighting coil reportedly works even better than a flywheel weight, as the magnets help to smooth the power. Probably too expensive to justify just for the power delivery improvements, but you can use the power leads for hot grips as well as lights.

Mine has the V-force reed block and carbon fiber reeds. Popular mod for woods riding.

Also, set your sag on this bike at 105mm and get a steering damper!

Bottom line is you can make your CR into a formidiable woods bike but it is going to cost you a fair amount of money, espeically if you add items like an 18" rear wheel.

I bought my '99 from a former district enduro champ (he also won the title on a '97) and it is incredibly good in the woods. Check the garage tab at the top of the page for a list of mods.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Mine has the original V-force - the one that was made before the VForce II. It may have been transferred from the previous owner's '97. I never rode the bike with the stock reed cage, so I don't know how much it helped. I had to replace the carbon fiber reeds about a year ago and they are not interchangeable with the V Force II.

yogi

May 14, 2005
I put a 14 oz. flywweel weight and 14/ 53 gearing and Im very pleased with how my old cr lugs..Really is a great trail ride..
New reeds and Top end, the bike is really running great these days..Top speed is down to 58 mph and im 200 lbs..
You gotta give up some top end if You want it to climb like a goat.. :cool:

phatbstrd

Feb 26, 2005
I ride my 96 in the woods predominately. I have it ported and polished for more bottom end with a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. I was thinking of giving it a flywheel weight but the thing lugs well as it is. I love the thing!! Now for suspension!

Top Bottom