Add your Ride Report Here... and here... and here.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Just wanted to get all the ride reports in one thread. 'cause they're just going to get bigger, better, and longer as the week goes on. :)

Cheers! E-Ticket (RandyB.)

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Let me start by saying that it was great to finally put some more faces with the more screen names and to see some familiar faces from Dirt Week.

Now for the ride report, do I start with the ride from Louisiana to Reno or just the dirt bike riding? Both have their stories.

I will just keep this one on the dirt bike topic.

We arrived at MoonRocks and unloaded the bikes and geared up. TTRGuy, BigLou and myself did a few hillclimbs around the parking lot and decided to do a little warm up ride and along the way we came across Kiwi, or he came across us. Anyway, we made a small little circle around the nearby trails at a relatively slow pace and then headed back to the truck. Arm pump set in and I hadn't even ridden 5 miles. We got back to the truck and gassed up and set off for a little hill climbing with Kiwi, DirtJunkie, TTRGuy, myself and some others that I can't remember who came along.

We took off up the trail on a decently steep and long hill. All was going well and I was chugging along behind Kiwi and then suddenly there were a few rocks strewn around near the top. I like riding rocks, but haven't seen any in awhile since moving to Louisiana and they caught me off guard. I bounced off one into another and found myself off-balance and leaning to the downhill side and then splat. Behind me came DirtJunkie and TTRGuy, with me blocking the trail, they had little place to go and stalled out as well. Sorry Guys! :ugg: Anyway, we got the bikes started and turned around and headed back down the hill and tried the hill a few more times. It was fun, not particularly gnarly, but a decent challenge but enough so that it kept it interesting each attempt.

Next we headed back to the pits for another group ride led by Strick. We started off with a rather large group with Strick, TTRGuy, DirtJunkie, FastEddie, BigLou and a host of others that I will not be able to remember at the moment. I remember the bikes and faces, I just can't put the names with everyone right now. The trails and traction were awesome and we ran a moderate pace as the size of the group wouldn't allow too much speed which was fine by me. I was still so awestruck by the terrain I was doing as much sight seeing as I was riding. Somewhere along the way, our group was cut in half. We continued on with the survivors and made it back to the pit area and went back for a few more climbs on the afore mentioned hill.

Next, FastEddie, DirtJunkie, TTRGuy, FarmerBrown, Dirt Bike Dave, Brandon (local - not sure if he is a DRN subscriber or not) and myself all headed out for some "Pod" racing. We headed out down the trails and kept a nice pace had a blast roosting through the bushes. We found some sand washes and then went up and down them a couple of times picking up speed each time it seemed. Then once we thought we were separated from Farmer John and TTRGuy. We started back down the wash and I was keeping the speed down and looking around the corners watching for them coming the other direction. We passed several places where the trail intersected the wash and I just knew they had taken one of those trails. In my haste to get to the end and turn around to go back up and find them, I sped up and my better judgement failed. I met Farmer John coming the other direction, luckily it was a wide enough spot that we avoided each other for the most part and just slightly touched when we passed each other.

Next we headed out for more open trails and found ourselves on some more nice hill climbs and something that looked like a goat trail around the edge of some of the hills. I think that was my favorite trail of the day. Anyway, it was getting late and I think we were all starting to tire somewhat, and I know TTRGuy and myself were both getting some leg cramps so we beat it back to the camp to load up and head to town.

I had to skip dinner that night and didn't ride the next day due to some domestic issues, but I still had a great time hanging out around the pits and talking with everyone.

Would I do it again? Heck ya!!! :aj:

I am sure more will come as I think about it, I just hope everyone had as much fun as me and I am sorry that I didn't get to ride with everyone there.

Randy

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
What a great time!! Wonderful to meet and remeet everyone. Riding was fantastic. Camping was definitely the thing to do. I almost fell in the fire on Sunday night trying to drink all the rest of the slushie the Canucks left for me.

Bring on next year!!!

And I'll be driving myself to dinner next time!!

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
We had a blast at Moon rocks! The trails were awsome and the people were even better. For me, camping was the way to go. With kiwi and the Canucks around it was quite entertaining, eh.

Saturday's riding started as a big group ride but became a rather fun and entertaining smaller ride with me, Big lou, GETMETOCA, Bratt, Dirtygirly, and GSR. With GSR leading the way we eventualy caught up with the rest of the group and continued the ride down the ravine with the small waterfalls, which were loads of fun. After the ride I had a bar banging good time racing up the whoop hill against Big lou. I think Lou backed off a little after the contact but not me as I kept the throttle open even as I strayed off course and back on again. After the race Kokanee talked me into using my bike to mix the next batch of blender drinks. Four strokes make the best drinks don't ya know.

Sunday was another great ride as I rode with Kokanee and crew plus a local guy (on an xr600) that we met while there. He knew the area real well and took us all around the local hills it was a great ride to end the trip on.

Thanks Strick for all your hard work and it was great meeting alot of new DRN'ers.

galant2nr

Dec 27, 2002
Hey everyone,
I had a great time at the moonrocks this weekend. I am new to motocross and even newer to DRN but it didn't seem to matter. (I was the newbie riding a WR426) I went on great rides Friday and Saturday. Being only my 3rd and 4th time on a bike it made for a great experience and everyone was super nice.

Strick, thanks for the great ride on Saturday, those washes were a blast, but I could of done without the fence ride all the way back. (Arm Pump!!!)

Thank you everyone for your help/advice/kindness.

I thought I had seen everything until I saw a KTM making margaritas.

It was great meeting everyone, now if I could just remember everyones names/screen names I would be set...

Thanks,
Brandon

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Saturday morning I was up early and ready to ride. Upon arriving at the bike storage, the only one ahead of me was Mr.WR., shortly there after I believe it was E-Ticket and his wife that showed up and we chatted for a bit, before Strick arrived. I loaded up in a hurry and took off.

After unloading at Moonrocks I warmed up the YZ450 for a minute and then went straight over to the starting gates that Dave186 had made and that 380EXCman was setting up. I raced everyone from a KX80 to the big KTM's, we all had alot of fun with the starting gates.

Soon Strick was setting up group rides by skill levels. I have only been riding a few times this year so I opted to ride the Int/adv group, I wasn't sure of my conditioning to go all out just yet.

After several miles of cruising up and around and over some awesome terrain, stopping frequently for the group to reassemble, Strick tells me to lead the pack for a while across a faster section of the valley we were in. I really opened the YZF up on this section and had a blast. Soon we were headed back to the staging area to gas up and grab a bite to eat. After getting a bite to eat I clowned around on the whoop hill some and got ready for the second ride of the day.

For the second ride Strick says we were going the opposite direction than the morning ride because there were less whoops in that area, it made no difference to me, I was having a blast :thumb:. About mid ride I hooked up with Mike on a technical downhill, we were the only two to take that route and so we booked it right on down to the meeting point in a hurry. Some time later after hooking back up with the main pack, we learn we left a broken down rider behind, I think it was RetSenior that had broken a chain. Strick decides to go look for him with Les and the rest of us would head back along the fenceline. Again I was able to take off in the lead and hang it out a bit.

There are a few dangerous g-outs along this section and one almost got the best of me, I still hit pretty hard and continue for a bit before I stop and wait for the rest. I remember Mike had left right behind me, but when I stopped here comes 380 saying that Mike had wadded it up in one of those g-outs. I asked if he was ok and soon he arrived unscathed, all but his pride. :)

Friday night, before all this took place, we met at the Piniata for a good time of greeting friends I had not seen since the first Reno ride and for the meeting of new friends. I am now famous since I have shook hands with the man himself, yep, BigLou hehe. He's a cool guy and I had fun talking with him and racing him up the whoop hill on Sat. Lots of chatting and laughing all the time we ate, it was a good time. I think I laughed the hardest when Kiwi walked in after having walked from the Peppermill, he had mistakenly been left there by himself with no ride. I bet it was a couple miles too. He actually was a pretty good sport about it. lol.

Saturday night, my wife, friend little_thumper, and I, sat at the table with Les for dinner. During the course we were visited by Firecracker22 for a while and after dinner was almost over bbbom and Karl showed up, we had the only two seats left so they were stuck with us.

After dinner, I was beat, so we decided to go back to the hotel and go to bed. Little_thumper had rented a room with a hot tub so he calls me up and says me and the wife could use it while he is gone to "explore Reno" yeah yeah, ok, he offers to start it for us if were coming right over I say go ahead since it takes about 20min to fill up. Upon arriving he says he put a little soap in there for us and then he leaves. I check the water while the wife is getting in her birthday suit, err bathing suit, and we climb in. It was nice and hot and I was waiting for the water to clear the jets so I could turn the aerator on. Soon it was full and I hit the button, kicked back and relaxed. I soon am feeling pretty good and have this Idea which puts a smirk on my face and I open my eyes to look over at the wife and all I can see is bubbles. I try with no avail to scoop some out but it is no use. Little_T was probably still laughing, thats ok, it's PAYBACK TIME MR.

Sunday ride report to follow, there's no less adventure there for sure.
:thumb:

Last edited:

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
We had a great time. Thanks to everyone who helped with this ride, especially Strick & Mimi.
Fast Eddy & I drove up Wednesday night so we could see the Pro-truck we rolled in Dec. but thats a whole another story. We mainly wanted to get in on the secret ride with Strick over near Nixon on Thursday. We arrived late morning on thursday to find one local guy left with a 426 that wouldn't start (wow imagine that)
Got him started and he took us on the race course at race pace too. Great sand dunes & a wash like the pods only much longer & 30ft walls for carving. Arriving at the moonrocks Friday I was impressed as this was my first time. I read the stories and saw the pic's from last year but missed the big picture, this place has everything!!! Strick took about 15 to 20 of us on the first loop at a nice pace. Within an hour or so we had it paired down to a managable 5 or 6 I think. Meeting new people & puting names with faces was just as much fun too. I wish I would have mingled more but it's hard to do when the riding is that good. Saturday Fast Eddy & I went around the entire mountain west of the moonrocks past the ranch where the owner will shoot ya, nice strick I don't remember seeing that in the brochure, dude!
Hope everybody made it home okay, see ya at Jawbone for Thank N Spank!
Chris & his faithful sidekick Fast Eddy

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Friday
12:00 pm The Angry Bros arrive, followed closely by Kelly.
We're greeted by Kiwi shortly thereafter. After making conversation with a few people, a small group consisting of Kelly, Mr. WR, Kevin and the bros form up. For a nice warmup, I lead the group to the Waterfall trail. We hung out around the towers going up or down every wash and canyon that we can find. Our pace is fast but controlled. Mr. WR takes the point and decides to go trials riding up a very narrow canyon. I followed Rick and Kelly with Kevin and my bro behind me. After many pipe bending, skid plate smashing miles of fun, we head back to the staging area. Quite a few people had shown up. We played around on the track for awhile and called it a day with 42.2 miles on the odo.
We met friday night at La Pinata for dinner. Name tags awaited us there. I knew lots of the people already, but it was great to see everyone again. After over a month with no alchohol, I decided to reward myself with a margarita and a 'few' cold Pacifico's. After teasing Ret Sr. and a few others after dinner, we set off for the Brews Brothers. There was a good band playing and plenty of entertainment to be had. We staggered out of there about 1 am.
Our room was not good. Luckily we spent very little time there.
We were fired up Saturday morning, but only working on a few hours sleep. We got to Moonrocks by about 9. Our buddy, Tim, showed up right after us. We knew it was on! While waiting for Mr. WR, Tim led Dirt Bike Dave, Kelly, Tom and myself out for a short loop. We picked up Ret on the way out of camp. Tim is fast (A rider). We were moving fast! On a fast fireroad, we all hung it out. I started near the back, but soon found a rarely used 6th gear and pinned the little 200 past the topped out open class bikes of Tom and Kelly. Girls bike huh :moon: . Tim was Ripping. We rode some of the sweetest trails and hit some isolated areas. We headed back to pick up Mr, WR and got back as the riders meeting was winding down. 35 miles in the books. After a short break, the same group - Ret and + Mr Wr and local fast guy Mike headed out. The pace was very fast. I worked my way onto the rear fender of Tim, who was in front and on the gas. I kept my bike flat out pinned to the stop up every hill and and railed evry corner and prayed Tim picked good lines. For a few miles it was full out race pace. Shortly after that, Mr Wr got off HARD flying up a sand wash. Down but not out, Rick remounted and rode back to camp :worship: . The bad luck continued, as BDD seized the CRE250 on the way back to camp. After lunch, what was left of us headed out again with Tim leading. We headed straight up a long hill which leads to a great trail along the ridge top. We went for miles switching places and dicing hard. We got far enough out to be stopped by deep snow and ice. We took the scenic route back, again blazing along at a very fast pace. Me and my brother rubbed elbows and went toe to toe while Tim watched it all from right behind. We got back to the staging area with over 80 miles for the day. I quickly regrouped for one last ride. There would be only 3 this time. I led my brother and Kelly out of camp for some fast and fun singletrack. Amazingly, I found all the trails I was looking for and we chased down the elusive 100 mile day. We were starting to wear down, so we headed in for the last time with 100.9 miles under our belts :aj: .
We met for a dinner buffet with most of the others and shared another days stories. After dinner, we attempted to find someplace cool to hang out, but in the end we wised up and got to bed a little earlier. The wind and snow showed up at night and we knew it would be perfect for Sunday. I'll let Darrin cover that story first!

3banger

Feb 20, 2003
Hey finally got my user name and email address sorted out so I can post here. I was the one on CSL’s yellow DR. You know the one that fell down a lot. I had a blast and will be looking into a dirt bike of my own soon.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sunday day two

I wake from a dream I was having about riding, only I was lost in a sea of bubbles as far as the eye could see. The night before the wind had really come up and I was worried a little about sundays ride being a little nasty, I spent a while going to sleep listening to the wind howl up a storm.

Looking out the window, I see one of the prettiest blue skies I have seen in a while. The wind had calmed a bit but was still brisk. After meeting at the storage building and loading up the bikes we were on our way to moonrocks.

As soon a I arrive and have my bike unloaded Strick comes over as tells me I am going to be riding with a friend of his, a former Hare and Hound #1 plate holder, I believe his name was Ray. If I am mistaken I will refer to him as the Silver bullet, do to the all silver KTM he was riding, and the speed at which he rides it. As soon as I was ready, I head over to the silver KTM and am greeten by Angryjim, his bro, kelly, Ray and Mike.

Soon we were off, the first ten minutes into the ride, I start to wonder just how far I can go on 1.9 gallons of gas at this speed. My second thought was just how far am I going to be away from moonrocks when it happens. We kept up a quick pace up for a 3 to 4 miles I guess and the Silver bullet comes to a stop to see how we all feel and if we were comfortable with the speed. We all agree its ok, not at any one point yet, have we been off each others rear tire. Ray explains that we are going to make a loop over to a distant snowcovered mountain, it looked to be in California somewhere so I mentioned I was probably the worst off for gas. Turns out Mike has a small gas tank too, at least I wouldn't run out of gas alone ;) . After many hills, washes and just plain having a blast riding we head out across the valley floor which consist of more sand washes and some hard pack road. It was along this stretch that Mike has a near get off and spectacular save, maybe he should take up flattracking. This was a pretty open section of the floor so I was able to open the YZ450 up and soon passed the Angrybro's and caught Mike. We dice it out for a little bit before I show him just how fast the 450 is on a long straight. He later comments that he is going to add a 6th gear to his CR250, I think that is cheating since I only have 4. lol.

Mike leads the way in the wash with me applying heavy pressure, all of a sudden, he blows a corner and I go around him and pin it, determined not to let him get me back in the wash. I Think Ray was feeling sorry for us and had slowed down because I caught him as we exited the wash and headed out across the desert. I felt pretty good at this point in the ride and was right on Ray as we made one of the coolest slolom trails, weaving in and out of sagebrush across the valley.

The next adventureous thing to happend was my near getoff on a downhill, loose, rocky hill. At one point my front tire was on a rolling rock and my rear tire was atop a rolling rock, both at the same time going in opposite directions. I didn't panic and was somehow able to save the out of control maneuver. I hear AngryJim let out a whooooohooohooo behind me and I give him a lookback as if to say "you saw that huh", I shake my head and continue on.

On the next stop a short time later, we realize that Kelly is missing. AngryJim goes back to look for him and is back with no luck, he mentions seein where someone wadded it up and footprints being all around, but no Kelly. The Silver bullet decides that a couple of us would stay put and the rest would go hit the beginning of the trail again and soon they were back with Kelly who had gone back to the crashsite knowing we would look for him.

Back across the valley toward moonrocks we entered a wash and started up, soon everyone was stopped and ray was looking up a waterfall, I see everyone go up and over one at a time. The next one we get to is steeper with a slick, flat face to it. Someone motions to me that were heading down. I turn around and head down only to be called back, as soon as I turn around to look to see what was going on (still moving down the wash) I hit a rock with my rear brake lever "SMACK", my bike locks up and my lever is tucked under the case. Thank god someone was carrying tools and 20min later and with everyone taking their turn working on it, it was at least operational. Now up the second waterfall....I think AngryJim's bro is the only one that made it up cleanly, the rest of us needed assistance, two guys on either side, one guy on the bike and one behind. I still managed to drop my once brand new bike on its side bending my shift lever this time. we all finally made it. About this time Kelly sees in horror that his front axle is bent due to the earlier crash. The bearings were showing and I believe he got weak in the knees when it was mentioned that he had just came across that valley floor at about 70mph. :scream:

The rest of the ride was more railing and flying low back to moonrocks. We were ready for a rest and a short lunch.

The second ride of the day was without Ray but we did add Les. More of the same singletrack trails and small number of whoops :laugh:. we decided to slow the pace down some, but I'm not sure if we really did or not. We climbed some goat trails and I began to tire both physicaly and mentaly, I have only been on a limited number of rides this year and it was starting to show. I was making more and more mistakes, hitting bushes and rocks I normaly wouldn't have. On the last ridge back to the truck I slowed down and let the Angrybro's and Mike get away from me. I hung back and kept it safe and just cruised over to the last downhill. Sitting atop the hill I could see the moonrock area and was revived like a barn sour horse, I tucked in behind the bro's and Mike and we motored back to the staging area with Les in tow. When we arrived Mike gives me the "I'm about to die" look, I return the "I'm about to die" look and we shake our heads.

What a great day of riding, There is no other way to say this but to say that you guys haul ass. It was a blast and I cannot wait til next year. With the Angrybro's similar riding styles, I swear they were never more than 5 feet apart from each other. Can't wait to ride with you guys again next year.

Mike, it was cool to meet you and I hope to ride with you again next year. Bobby says you haven't been riding all that long, well, let me tell you, you have some natural riding skills my friend. You rocked.

Les it was nice to meet you and ride with you.

Ray, thank you for telling us you haven't raced since 1990, that made us all feel real...SLOW. lol. It was cool meeting and riding with you. Strick's ex-Silverbullet can still scoot.

Kelly, to bad about the axle man, I kind of wish I would have seen the crash. hehe. Had a blast, can't wait till next year. Maybe you'll have a new bike then.

My bike was awesome all weekend long, the 4 speed tranny proved to be no dissadvantage except when I got really tired in the tight stuff. Other than that this bike rocks!. I layed the bike over once the first day and I fell on the waterfall the second day, and yet the bike looks like it's been in a war zone. The cheap shroud stickers are tore up in the front from the sagebrush, I have some scratches along he right shroud from a rock I got a little close to, I have to replace my rear brake lever,and straighten my shift lever, I think she is finally broke in. :thumb:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Sir Thumper - great ride report. Yes, Ray held the #1 National Hare & Hound plate in the amateur class in 1989. Then came love, marriage, baby carriage, and a LOT less riding for Ray.

And yes the silver bullet ('99 KTM 380) was once my bike. Only recently however was it ridden that fast. Yes, once again, by Ray.

I am glad you guys had a good time.

Let's do it again next year, whaddyasay?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Sounds like another successful ride Strick, wish I could have been there. Last year's ride was really good too and I still remember it well. Great ride reports everyone. Hi to TTRguy,Desert Racer, Angry Jim, Tim,Kelly,380EXC,Kiwi,Mr WR,E-ticket,Pegasus,BBBoom,GSR,Mimi and all who had fun. Cheers!

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Sunday.

Sir Thumper pretty much summed it up. We had already done about a 10 mile warmup before we hooked up with Ray and the rest. We left camp and imediately were going wfo. Things didn't change much for the next few hours.

I was interested to see how Darrin would go on the 450yz. I could tell he was a motocrosser by his riding style. The guy really rides well on that bike. I would say a couple steps up from 2 years ago. Anyone wondering about the 450 should remember that Russ Pearson is flat out ripping on one this year. He came in 3rd at the Hollister national on a pretty tight course. For the desert, that bike is very good. The only place I felt it might be in trouble is on really slow single track like we often ride where I live. I've seen guys struggle with clutch fade because of the high gearing. That being said, there isn't much stuff like that in the desert. Darrin, you made a good choice with that bike. If I slowed down at all, 3 guys would fly by me before I knew what happened. When we hit the wide open stuff on sunday, I put it on cruise control. On saturday I'd hit 75mph and was still accelerating. That was enough of that for this trip, although we were still going about that fast anyway! I started feeling good sunday after getting rid of the riding jacket. I was really comfortable when the trails got narrower. I ussually take awhile to warm up, so the longer the ride the better.
In the afternoon, we set a slower pace at first. Once we would hit good single track though, I would pick up the pace. Strangely, there was always a 6'4" shadow right behind me! My only streghth is to wear people down. It's prime riding season in Ca, so we were in good condition physically. I felt my best late in the day sunday and really didn't want to stop riding when we got back. So, I took Bobby's 450sx out for a 15 minute or so spin. Pretty fun bike there. We ended up with over 220 miles for the weekend. We got our yearly fix in.
It was great riding with all of you again. I can't wait till next year.
Les, you're improving every time I see you. Maybe you can lead next year.
Darrin, you know who to look for next year.
Rick and Dave, get the bikes up and running soon, the spring thaw is just around the corner.
Kevin, the GG is looking good in your hands.
George, Kelly is on his way back from LA with a 520exc. Watch out big man!
Tim and Ray, thanks a million for the guided tours. You guys are nuts, in a good way!
Damage report: One mangled exhaust pipe. One bent rear brake rotor. One deformed skid plate. One creased rear fender. One ground up front fender. No bodily damage.
See you all later.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks for the compliment about my riding Jim, I have put in a lot of time at the MX track and I do think it has made me an all around better rider. The new bike helps too, it just makes things so much easier than they used to be. thanks alot.

I'll be there Strick, and I'll try to spend a little more time getting to know more DRN folks too. I think I only met about half of them that I hadn't previously met. I'm bummed over that.

See ya next year
Darrin

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
After the ride Sunday, I had a great time at dinner with Sharla, Bobby, Noelle, and Bobby's good friend. Can't forget karl coming over and giving the waitresses a hard time either. I really enjoyed everyone's company and I'll see you next year.

Darrin

Top Bottom