Advice Needed For Reed Cage Repair

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Long story short I dicked up the threaded holes that are used to mount the reed pedals to the cage on my 02 CR. The old screws were 3mm phillips with heads that were softer than warm butter. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried retapping the holes for 4mm allen head set screws? I haven't measured the thickness of the material yet to see about how many threads of engagement I can get but I'll look into that soon. If anyone has other ideas please let me know.
:ugg:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by bclapham
rad valve or v-force? as of you didnt have enough jetting trouble!

Yo B,

This is on my stock Honda cage! As for the jetting, I found out part of the problem. I replaced my reeds w/another stock pair and they chipped/broke after 5 hrs. I think this is what was making it sooo lean off idle and up to 1/4. Just because stuff is new doesn't mean it good. :ugg: Anyway, upon removing the screws for the ump-teenth time I messed up the threads and the screws. :eek: I really didn't like the cheesy phillips head screws and was wondering if I could retap the holes for 4mm allen head set screws (4mm was the smallest I could find).

So, let me know if you think this will work. I'm going to measure the thickness of the cage sometime this weekend, or maybe even tomorrow and see if there's enough material for the 4mm screws to take.

Thanks for the response Bruce! :yeehaw:

Later,
Andrew

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by Rcannon
If worse comes to worse, look on ebay for an oem replacement.

R,

I have since checked everyday and have not seen one. The messed up thing is that the day before I messed everything up there was one and I thought about getting it just to have a spare. Well, the auction ended about 4hrs before I proceeded to do damage. Just my luck. :(

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by bclapham
i meant buy... vforce...

Now I'm beginning to think you don't like me! ;) I've read your posts and I'm leary to even consider that route. I'll look more into retapping the holes, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what they did to solve it.

Thanks!

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hey Andrew,

Tapping and putting in a new screw would seem like it would work fine. On my reed set up i went with Boyesen FiberGlass reeds opposed to the carbon fiber reed set up. They seem to work we'll and have no wear that I can see after a year of racing and I installed them last year around Feburary. If i remember correctly those screws are a certain length, so be careful when buying new ones after you tap and as bruce says use blue loctite when putting them back in. If you are going to go the aftermarket, the boyesen rad valve didn't affect my friends 02 Cr250. He has the same jetting as me and left every thing the same. I personally didn't notice a difference with rad valve on.

Erik

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Erik,

Thanks for the advice! I actually bought the same reeds you mentioned to replace my chipped, 5hr old stock ones. They are the Boysen dual stage fiber glass "Power Reeds". You are also correct about the screw length. I can get the 4mm set screws in a 6mm length which should work fine. If they end up being a little long (which I'm sure they will) I'll cut them down to lenth to avoid interupting airflow and thread file them to remove any burrs.

Thank you for your input. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom