longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Thanks for the input, my friends. I appreciate all the various suggestions and well wishes for Amy. I spent a couple of hours at the doggy oncologist this morning. Learned all our options, and just how sick our little puppy is:

**Ends up that even though the first symptom was just two days ago, she's a Stage 4 (out of 5). The cancer is in several nodes and her spleen.

**Chemotherapy costs are 500 up front, then 150 to 300 a month -- for the rest of the animal's life.

**Odds are that with chemo, a dog in her state will live from 12 - 18 months.

**Treatment is largely pain free with chemo. They use much lesser doses than in humans, so there are usually few side effects.

So, fully armed, I made my decision . . . . . . . .

Amy got her first chemo today. Her eyes are still nearly swollen shut, but hopefully, within 10 days she'll be in remission. I'll pay the money. Just hope the lil' girl responds well.

To see how wildly, as sick as she is, she was wagging her tail at the vet, was inspirational. Even the staff there was blown away. Lil' Amy deserves some happiness -- and to live. I'm gonna' give her that chance.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Pets are just truly amazing. I had a cat one time who swallowed like 6 feet of christmas tree tinsle. It ended up clogging her intestines and cutting them up inside as well. She really had no chance according to the vet. They went ahead and did surgery anyway and ended up having to remove some of her intestines. She was in such bad shape that the vet was taking her home with him each night to keep an eye on her. Low and behold she pulled out of it and lived for several more years. They are just so strong and inspiring. Hang in their LT, I hope that everything turns out for the best for you.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:cool:

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
:) she's a strong fighter and she has the determination it seems to make it through...she's saying: "I'm still young! i have a life to live...":cool:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Glad to here you're not giving up. Several years ago, my dog Penny (half pitbul, half mish-mash of other breeds) hurt her back pretty bad. It was bad enough she had a difficult time walking. It was frustrating, because she was only 7 at the time. We decided to have her undergo a series of shots to see if it would help any. After a few months and about $400 later, she was back to normal again.

Hopefully everything can work out OK for you. :D

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Good luck LT.:D

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Two thumbs WAY up!
Elk

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Thanks all.

Two days into the chemo now, and the nodes are almost back to normal. :) She's clearly a different dog now than before, however. Slower about everything, doesn't eat much, etc. But the important stuff -- her lover personality, trust of strangers, friends to everyone in the neighborhood, etc., is still the same. Looks like she's gonna have another year -- then when the drugs quit working we'll all be a little more ready for it. Meantime, she's in no pain or discomfort, and she's gonna' get pretty darn spoiled. :cool:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Good luck LT & Amy. As for being more prepared, somehow I don't think so (it's never easy losing something/someone you love) :( However, enjoy your time together.
Will her appetite improve after chemo? or is it not like humans, where you have chemo sessions? (sorry, total ignorance here)
All the best to all your family, I'll be thinking of you & hope you won't mind if I occasionally ask how she is?
Take care
Michelle

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
You're a brave man, LT. Best wishes to both you and Amy. Enjoy your time together, and keep us posted.

Top Bottom