All around bike: ktm 200, 250 or kx,cr,yz,rm 250?

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
What would be a better "all around" bike? A japanese 250 mx'er or a ktm 200 or 250 exc? By "all around" I mean trails, hill climb, cross country, fire roads, some mx/gp track - but not that much tight technical single track trails, I already have a good bike for that. Let me know what your favorites are and why. Gentlemen, your experiences and opinions please.......
B.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Your favorite roost rocket(s)?? For all around roosting...

I'm kinda surprised no one has replied to this yet. I did do searches, but the key words involved with this subject bring up so much stuff that is not focused, and it is extremely difficult to sort thru it all looking for what I need. Come on guys, show your pride in your decision to ride the particular bike you've chosen and why you love it!!! I'm looking to get me a roost rocket soon and all of the opinions you guys have from the combined experiences are gold!! Thanx in advance.
B.

Last edited:

CK

Mar 29, 2005
Sorry, you just didn't list my personal choice (which I can't afford quite yet). The CRF450... My CR250 is the closest to it in my book, The 250 MX bikes are great all around bikes IMO, but the 450's do things a bit easier. I'm too old and fat to be on a 200 these days, and I can't think of a better bike than a Honda. They just fit me and are well designed. I've loved every one I've owned - 8 at this point.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I've been a big fan of my YZ-250. I do use it for every kind of riding know to man. save for Supercross. I've been riding woods, open desert and a fair amount of Super Moto on it. I do wish it had some extra fly-wheel weight, but that's a small thing.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Keep it Comin' !!!!

Great guys, that's what I want to hear!! Any believers in RM and KX?? How about those ktm's?? By the way, I love the new 4 strokes, but I'm looking for some real economy here although I've heard the yzf400's and 426's are very reliable and cheap to maintain. Also, I weigh between 160-170lbs, depending on my levels of activity, and I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam, if that helps. I may consider a ktm 4 stroke enduro, but I can't seem to find one under $3200 in my area.
B.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Ok here comes the KTM guy. You can't go wrong with the 250exc. This is a good mx/gp bike, and with the exc gearing, you get a nice tranny spread for trail work. The CRF is just to much work to keep in shape mechanically, and it's a 4 stroke, who wants that. As a matter of fact 4 strokes are the scourge of our modern world. :fft:
If you can afford the cost, go with a 2005 KTM250exc--this is a bike you will be able to keep mechanically sound for 10+ years for a low amount of money, and best of all you get a hydro clutch, good components and the ability to work on the bike with a 8,10,13mm wrench.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx kelsorat!!

Ok, thanx!! That keeps the ktm in the game. No, I cannot afford a 2005, but I have seen several 1999-2002's for very good prices, so I'm glad to hear your opinion on the versatility of this bike. Like I posted a little earlier, I recently rode a 2002 ktm 200 exc and I was actually very impressed with power and suspension - it seemed like it could be a fine moto/gp bike with proper suspension adjustment, and a little sacrafice in plushness for trails. So, I suppose the 250 exc would just be more of it. Great stuff!!
B.

Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
Ktm

I have the KTM 250 EXC and it is a great bike. Scream it or lug it. Maybe a little winded in desert. So fast in the woods that I scare myself. 2000 or newer have good and better suspension. I am 6'0" and 190. If I were any smaller the 200 EXC would be my choice. The four strokes are nice but the dollars go up.

Rutbuster1

Sep 30, 2002
Eyedoc said:
I have the KTM 250 EXC and it is a great bike. Scream it or lug it. Maybe a little winded in desert. So fast in the woods that I scare myself. 2000 or newer have good and better suspension. I am 6'0" and 190. If I were any smaller the 200 EXC would be my choice. The four strokes are nice but the dollars go up.

You can still ride the 200 EXC. Heck, I'm 5'9", 185 lbs and raced a KX 125 and KDX 200 in the woods for awhile befoe I got my 250. To be honest, I was faster on the 200. I had to work it more but I was more comfortable with the power. I had to tone down my KX 250 with a 13 oz flywheel weight for the woods. I was taking out all kind of stuff and stalling alot in tight woods before I put on the flywheel weight. :laugh:

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx for resurrecting this thread

Thanx guys. I'm still trying to make a decision. I'll probably start shopping in a few months. Right now I'm just out of money, so I'll have to wait. But in a few months things will be a little different. Maybe I should just sell my kx 125 and go with a 200 or 250 exc. The 200 exc I rode seemed like a great bike with a lot of potential - all it needed was to be jetted right. At my weight I made it lug me up a bumpy hill totally bogged out without clutching just to see what it would do and it just bogged right on up that hill. No stalling, sputtering, nothing, and I know it wasn't jetted right because after I rode it I helped the owner adjust the jetting and was a lot more crisp after that. So, in a nutshell I like the 200exc, but I'm fascinated about having a bike with even more power than that!!! :aj: But maybe at 165-170lbs, I don't need that kind of power. Still, I cannot overlook the versatility, power and value of a rm/kx/cr/yz 250. So I continue to be confused.
B.

Amber Farris

Mar 14, 2003
I have a 03 200 MXC (the last year they made the bike) and I love it. The thing has plenty of power for me. I actually like the close ratio tranny. There is great power in every gear and I have found that 1st is low enough for me. My husband who weighs 200+lbs even chugged it up a hill without a problem. I have crashed hard and the bike still keep running. That thing is hard to stall. I got the 200 for its size. It is pretty light and nimble. I hear the 250 EXC and the 300 EXC are just awesome with the 300 being a lugging machine, but they handle like a 250 2 stroke. Good Luck finding the right bike. PS: IF you ever want to give my bike a test ride let me know.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx...

I'm starting to believe it might be best for me to sell my kx 125 and replace it with a more versatile bike, so I am leaning towards the 200 mxc/exc or the 250 exc at this point.
B.

Top Bottom