scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Almost 12, Almost done with PW80

My son is almost 11.5 years old about 4' 7" and 85Ibs.

He currently rides a PW80 with all the free mods and we ride mostly single track trails with roots, rocks, logs to deal with, typically 1st 2nd gear stuff. The PW80 is very forgiving in this type of riding but its time for the next step. He also likes riping around and going over small jumps.

Any advise on the next step we have considered the following; XR100, RT100, TTR125, so far.

:bang:

Last edited:

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Next ?

My son is almost 11.5 years old about 4' 7" and 85Ibs.

He currently rides a PW80 with all the free mods and we ride mostly single track trails with roots, rocks, logs to deal with, typically 1st 2nd gear stuff. The PW80 is very forgiving in this type of riding but its time for the next step. He also likes riping around and going over small jumps.

Any advise on the next step we have considered the following; XR100, RT100, TTR125, so far.

He is a decent rider but does get frustrated when he has troubles getting through a particularly nasy section. The clutch although nessasary will add to that frustration.

:bang:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
The TTR would probably be great. If he wants a real challenge, an 85 MX bike would be the next natural step, but it sounds like he's not ready for it yet.

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
an 85 mx is a big jump for someone that size comning from a pw, my friend went from a pw 80 to a ttr125, the riding level of the two is pretty similar, when you take the restrictor off of the pw it seems pretty peppy compared to the ttr, and is not far behind it...if he trail rides alot, but still likes to tair through the turns, and jump...you might have a future mxr for all you know..i'd go for something inbetween...definitely look into a 65 mx bike, like the kx65 or rm65, or if you want to save a little, you can go with the kx60...he'd prob be happier with the 65, it will last him a litte longer, can learn to work the clutch, and will definitely prepare him for his next jump up

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The KLX 110 might be a good choice but it won't be much of of a change. An 85 MXer would be good if he can handle the power, it's doable. The KX 65 would be the most logical choice based on size and power, but the powerband hit is very explosive. I think that at 4'7" he is too short for the TTR125, and probably any 85 class MXer. For trails, he needs to be able to reach the ground. You should take him by you local Kawi dealer and have him sit on the KX85, KX65, KLX110, and KLX125(although I don't expect it will fit). The KLX's will have a smoother power curve with better bottom end, the smokers won't be as good on the bottom with the 65 most likely being the harder to ride. The 110 is the only one of the 4 w/o a clutch, but I really feel that at his age he should be ready to use his left hand too. My son started using a clutch at 7, and I just taught my 10 yr old daughter (although she is far from an aggressive rider).

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
The 65 mx'r may be the ticket. My thought was that it has the same size tire as the PW and would be limited in the same way over technical trails. But it would have WAY better suspension and have more clearance. Can you get flywheel would to help it from stalling ?

:ride:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The suspension is definitely better. As far as stall prevention, no matter what you do to the bike, someone without clutch experience will forget to pull it in during a low speed corner. Stay close for a while so you can see him do it and explain that it didn't "just stall". If you can find a flywheel weight, it might ease the hit, but the KX65 has no bottom end power. I would recommend putting a 12 tooth front sprocket on it so the engine will spin faster at low speeds. This will also put more power to the ground throughout the RPM range.

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
you might want to get a kx65 or a ttr 125. my little brother is 9 y/o,4' 10'', and 90lbs.(hes pretty big!)anyway, hes got a kx 85 and ive got a kx 125. he can handle his bike pretty good but WAY to much power for a guy coming off of a pw 80. youd probably have a better bet with the ttr 125.

4unner4life

Mar 11, 2005
I had a ttr125 when i was about 5'0'' and 13 and i thought it was pretty big, but taking it easy the first few rides and gaining confidence i learned alot from that bike. Its got a mellow powerband which helped. If he is really aggressive and feels comfortable look into cr80. Bigger Suspension really pays off when going over roots, logs and rocks.

kellyk7

Feb 1, 2006
4unner4life said:
I had a ttr125 when i was about 5'0'' and 13 and i thought it was pretty big, but taking it easy the first few rides and gaining confidence i learned alot from that bike. Its got a mellow powerband which helped. If he is really aggressive and feels comfortable look into cr80. Bigger Suspension really pays off when going over roots, logs and rocks.

we moved our oldest son from a PW80 to a CR80 and ride very much the same kind of rip rap you ride, fields trails woods ect, our bike is a stock 2002 and seems to lug pretty well, it is no 4 stroke, but for his size you may be getting him on too big a bike on a 125, there is a world of diference power wise between a CR80 and a PW80, and in our case the PW80 we have is faster and more powerfull than both the XR80 and xr100 so even tho he will get a clutch he is stepping back INHO there are some youth size 125s and this would be OK

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
My boy went from a PW80 to a KX85 almost two years ago at age 8. We ride trails and woods only. He's doing most excellent. He's big for his age... like 100+ lbs. I did have to cut the seat foam and lower the suspension (all free mods) but the bike suits him fine.

At age 12, if he's any bit aggressive in his riding style, the trail bikes won't last him long. Don't underestimate the learning ability of kids.

Top Bottom