wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm thinking hard about getting a new CRF450X, and I was wondering if anyone who had one regretted their decision.

Anyone not like the power delivery?
Anyone think it is TOO much power?
Anyone think it is difficult to maneuver?
Anyone think it is too loud with the stock pipe?

I'm 6'2 215lbs w/o gear, and I'm looking for a good 4T to ride track & trail with my kids. I'm a C level rider and I like to ride aggressively sometimes. I have a KDX200 now and its power is fine for me. While I've heard rave reviews about the CRF250X, I'm concerned that I would have to rev that bike to the ceiling all the time to haul my butt around.

Thanks for your help!

Stryke

Jul 19, 2005
Basically ive talked to alot of online forums and alot of guys who own 450r's. Ill list a binch of pros an cons b/c im in the same boat as u. I am struggling between if i should get a crf450r or crf450x, wondering if the 450x is not enough.

crf450x
-electric start
-bigger stator, flywheel (which is what allows it to have lights and electric start)
-wide ratio gearing for trail riding
-frame although it is the same as the 450r is more flexy and so it wont be able to handle huge jumps ive heard if u get the suspension revalved to do motocross.
-ppl have told me the power is very smooth, no powerband
-little larger gas tank
-smaller rim and bigger tire than the 450r(less chance of pinch flats)
-stainless steel valves (will last u longer but a little heavier)
-more plush suspension for trail riding(if u ever wanted motocross ud be spending 800 bucks on revalve)
-worser cam than the r u will need cam upgrade for bigegr power if u want, and to take out the air pump and air box lid

crf450r
-larger rear rim but smaller tire (for motocross wont slip as much hard to break beads)
-more close ratio gearing(not a real problem can be used anywhere, ull just max out at around 68mph instead of 80-90mph like the x)
-have heard that the 450r is a smooth trail bike below a certain rpm and a monstor motocrosser about another amount(like a 2 stroke)
-has titanium valves so it will be lighter but wont last as long as the x's, will require valve check all the time and oil changes every 2 weeks or so.
-smaller gas tank, howver if u go out with others u can just bring a small jerry can
-exhaust isnt power stealing, dont need aftermarket very good already
-suspension is pretty good even for trail riding, and can do motocross on it
- no lights or electric start, will cost BIG money if u ever wanted it nearly 1500

Basically thats the info ive got from ppl online and am also hving problems deciding which.

Last edited:

markiv123

Sep 1, 2004
It's a great bike... F-ing pricey but the bike is by far the best of both worlds as far moto-x/trail bike.. way way better than the WR450 IMHO...

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
I notice you are an eastern rider. I owned a CRF250X. I am about 235 lbs and the bike hauled me no problem. More power than your KDX by far. Great suspension and very light handling for a four stroke. On the downside I was always worried that the motor was gonna blow. A few of my friends with the R model had that problem and I am paranoid by nature and I like 2 strokes anyway. I had a chance to get some extended saddle time on a 450x. I did not like it at all. The power was awsome and very fun but the handling was not good. Turning was slow and the bike just feels heavy. But like I said I really like 2-strokes. Thats why I just bought a KTM 200XC. Think KDX on steroids and Slim Fast with awsome suspension.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks DirtDawger, that is some GOOD feedback. It's good to know that the 250X is powerful enough for me. Did you have to keep your 250X revved out in order to get any real power out of it? I'm looking for a bike I can have fun on without having to rev the piss out of it (I'm trying to not disturb my neighbors too much).

My problem is that some of my neigbors (in my development) have mentioned my "whiney-a** two stroke". I'm hoping that a 4T will sound similar to my son's CRF70 and the quads that ride behind my development which everyone seems OK with. I'm also interested in the 4T's electric power delivery I've heard so much about. Not sure if I'll like the engine braking, but we'll see.

I'm sure the 450X is a great bike but my gut tells me it is WAY more than I need, so right now I am leaning hard towards the 250X. I would like to wait on the KTM 250XCFW but I can get a Honda 250X for about $5k OTD from a TN dealer, and I'm sure the 250XCFW won't be anywhere near that.

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
Like most modern 250 4-strokes it makes its best power up in the revs but it has plenty of putt around power as well. It also has the added advantage of being one of the most quiet 4-strokes stock that I ever heard. Just be diligent about changing the oil. Especially on the crank side. It really is a great trail bike if you must go 4-stroke. :ride:

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Noise is driving my next bike selection

DD, thanks for the link to this thread. I tried a Snorkel for my KDX and had problems with the install, so I sent it back. I never found out how much quieter the Snorkel would make my KDX, but it is interesting to read how much quieter the Snorkel made a 300EXC. 4dB is a lot, and the notes about changing the characteristics of the sound are also intriguing.

I want a new dirtbike that is as quiet as possible. My wife and my neighbors seem to like the 4T sound of my son's CRF70 more than the 2T noise of my KDX, so that has me leaning towards a CRF250X.

All things being equal, I would rather have a 300XCW but I don't know how the neighbors would react to it. I'm trying to be as responsible a neighbor as I can without giving up dirtbikes...that is NOT an option! :p

Top Bottom