AP Back Guard from Sportprotection

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm glad this is taking off. I have grown use to the protector and now don't like to ride without it.

Oldguy and Gomer, I will STRESS that once you put it on you need to slide it up and down a little to make sure it's in the right spot. If it's in the wrong spot, you'll get a reminder that it is there. When it's in the right spot, you won't even know you have it on :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We are still working on fit. He has ridden with it in the yard briefly but it tends to catch his cp in the back and then everything rides up into his helmet. After the weekend we are going to try a couple ideas to prevent this. Part of the problem may be his lack of weight for his height (5'3" and 90#) so no belly to keep it from moving and very narrow top opening on the cp. Wanted to have it fit and ready for this weekends races but he still isn't comfortable with it yet.
Wraith if you see this could you PM me any secrets you used to fit your kids?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Fit

Originally posted by oldguy
He has ridden with it in the yard briefly but it tends to catch his cp in the back and then everything rides up into his helmet.
That problem you are talking about is because the guard is not fitted properly on him or a little too high or it is too long on the bottom. I had a similar problem until I fitted mine properly. I would do the following to get the guard fitted properly.

1. Find out where he likes the belt on his waist.
2. Once you are SURE about that position have him sit on the bike and see if the bottom hits his seat. If it hits the seat trim one section off and see if that clears the seat. If it does, great, if not, repeat.
3. Once the bottom is trimmed properly, then put his CP on and see how much the Guard hits the CP.
4. Trim the top of the guard to avoid the CP.

Once the guard is fitted properly, he won't even notice it's on. :D

PM me with any questions you have.

MikeT

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
The sportprotection site states « It is now the leading back protection device in Europe.” ….
I never heard about this device in the European countries I’m riding in.
The leading back protection here is the Dainese safety jacket.

http://www.motorace.com/body_safety/sj20.htm

Light and hope protective.

In your opinion is the BP better …?
I’m also concerned about safety, I even wear a neck protector I bought in the USA from POWER SPORT SAFETY CO. who do not exist any more ( I think so)
If they are not any more in the business I will maybe try the EVS collar…any opinions …?

RakO

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Riding update on the Back guard. I am still having good luck with wearing this thing. I am finding that taking an extra 30 seconds to make sure you have it positioned correctly makes all the difference. I am still happy with this guard and am glad I haven't needed it to do it's job yet. :D

seerf450

Apr 23, 2002
To Jesper and RakO,

I really like the look of Dainese Safety Jacket, it looks much better than the AP backprotector. It also looks like it offers far more protection. Which do you think is better and is the Dainese Safety Jacket cool during hot summer days?

PSmith

Apr 28, 2001
I received an AP back guard last week and I think that the quality is excellent. I found it to be very comfortable to wear. I feel much more comfortable knowing that I am protecting my spine and you can’t put a price tag on that! Also, I found the guard to be very reasonable (Big Senior $79). I highly recommend this product. I checked out the Dainese Safety Jacket and it seems very cumbersome. I can’t imagine that it would be very comfortable to wear on a hot day.

Top Bottom