zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I happen to be a computer-rocket scientist. Allow me to interpret GSR's definition of "proxy": a proxy is like a concierge. The more you tip him, the quicker he sends better hookers up to your room.

For those of us who don't stay at 5 star hotels, a proxy can be compared to a public urinal, the trough kind. Everyone pees in it, and sometimes you splatter on your neighbor, sometimes you don't. But as long as there's room, and you can squeeze your "friend" in, you can use it as much as the next guy. Some are metal, some porcelain.

For those who don't frequent old-school ballparks, a proxy can be likened to a box of crayons. All sorts of colors, sizes and with or without built-in sharpener.

I like to think of a proxy as a heavyweight boxer- lean, mean and ready to kick a**.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Previously, at work, but it was painfully slow and they used Netscape. :( Now I just use my laptop on a dial-up

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Great. Now I think I owe somebody $5.00. I never should have tried to convince anyone that zio really isn't loco en la cabeza! :think:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The proxy server allows for easy viewing (by the admin) of your history, etc.. For that reason, I use a dial up account.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Zio, talk about making one mistake and stumbling into a gay bath house!!:):) BUUWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by Zenith
I am when I'm in college, and my brother goes through my PC at home so we can both browse DRN at the same time...

Thats not really a Proxy, more of a gateway. I don't run through a proxy, unless its transparent, which is very possible for ma Bell :) I'm not a fan of proxy's at all, sinlge point of failure doesn't sit well with me. Anyhow, back to shell I go I go....

The main purpose of a proxy server is to cut down on internet traffic, or repeated traffic, say ftp, newsgroups, whatever. If you are running through a proxy and go to www.dirtrider.net the proxy server caches that page for a certain amount of time. The next time you go to www.dirtrider.net you actually dl the page from the proxy, not Okie's server. This cuts down on outbound internet traffic and saves company's money and bandwidth. But proxy's are a great way to limit traffic and keep an eye on what your doing. Multi-purpose machines for sure. Think about how many time's a 4000 employee company dl's www.hotmail.com or www.yahoo.com a day!! Make one copy of it to serve everyone. A sys admins best friend :) But, along with less traffic, comes single point of failure which can lead to huge problems. What happens if the proxy goes down? 4000 employee's without net traffic, the helpdesk gets 4000 calls at once. They are good and bad, so take your chances. And just make sure they run on *nix, then you won't have a problem :)

Squid is your friend....

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I do at work. And it's really got me worried. :eek:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Okie;
what's up with the "Proxy Detected " under some peoples names, I'm trying to figure out what the benefit of knowing if someone is behind a proxy or not is :think:

Kav the lost

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You know of course that users IP's are logged, right?
Not that the ip is useful in anyway, except for removing "problem children". If a user is behind a proxy, I still like knowing I can get the real IP should I need it.

If anyone wants to make a "big brother" thing out of it, you're wasting your time, lol.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Okie, I have been enlightend, and no I didn't know that IPs were logged. It makes sence though

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I think I get it now. Computer networks are suseptible to CHICKEN-PROXY too. Come to think about it, I can still see the scars on Bill Gates face. Amazing what you can discover here.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
so it only puts the proxy thing there of you're behind a proxy when you post I take it?

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have my Direcpc system here at home, and sometimes i cant access some java chat thing on certain websites because it says it detects a proxy, lets see if the proxy detected thingy works here.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Thanks GSR. yup with a system my size it'd have to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom