kkw_archer

Jan 17, 2005
My wife and I are planning a trip up in to Arkansas next weekend to do some trail riding. We are planning to head up to Wolf Pen Gap, and I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the trail, or if there were any better trails in the area. I was also wondering if anyone knows of any campsites nearby that have cabins.

kkw_archer

Jan 17, 2005
cwb370,
The riding that we do is strictly off road (since I am not sure of the requirements to ride on county roads in other states). Our experience is very novice, I plan to stick to the easier trails for a while.

As for Oklahoma I would like to find out more about what they have to offer. I have contacted Weyerhauser twice, and both times they have said that they would send me a map, but I have yet to get one.

Just a little side note, neither of our bikes are street legal in TX, mine has a headlight and tail light but no signals or brake lights.

TreeTalker

May 8, 2004
kkw, you can buy a pass for the Weyerhauser land at two of the local gas stations in Talhinia OK. The pass will cost you $16 and is good for the whole year. Good place to ride if your just starting out. You can ride any of the dirt roads and fire breaks without worry of getting a ticket. There are a few 4 wheeler trails also around that area. Good luck with your trip.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I went riding at wolf pen gap with my boy (14 at the time) 2 years ago on the 4th of July. We stayed in the cabins with AC. There was mostly 2 track wide trails with some easy riding with the exception in certain areas. You can find some look-outs with some steep hills going to the top. There are some other areas that are a little challenaging for the little guys and maybe the wife. You can find some good maps on the internet. I have a good color hard copy but cannot find the bookmark. Do some searching on the internet. Here is the camping area web site, http://www.wolfpenatv.com/MainPage. There is a black and white map there that gets really confusing when out on the trail. The trails had some marking but it did not help much.

Have a good time.

cwb370

Apr 2, 2002
Oklahoma

Me, my wife and 15 year old son have gone to Honobia, Ok twice this year and loved it because my wife loves riding but nothing to difficult so we ride with her in the mourning and then she lays out in the sun and me and the boy can put some miles on and challenging rides.
There are miles and miles of roads and then there are single track trails that connect.
The second time we went a friend that just got into riding went with us and it helped him out so much to get use to his bike and now he's a better rider due to confidence.
Here is the link to the cabins we stayed at and we rode out of there with no problem as long as you don't fly up and down the asphalt like a idiot. We stayed in cabin 5 both times.
Clancy's Cabins
Here's a link to pictures I took.
First Trip To Honobia
It rain all night Friday so the creek crossings were kinda of high on the second trip.
May 2005 Trip To Honobia
Go to more albums in the top left hand corner and you will see pictures from Wolf Pen Gap also.

Last edited:

kkw_archer

Jan 17, 2005
cwb370,
Honobia sounds (and looks) like a great place to ride. We are going to try to make it up there sometime this summer. It will probably be after July though because we are booked up untill then.

Also, have you ever heard of a place known as John's Valley?

Top Bottom