fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I have some Bark Busters (not sure who makes the ones I have) and the fit was not good at best. Nothing lined up and the screws were all cross threaded (from the previous owner). I would like to reuse them on my new bars, but have a couple problems. I don't have wedge bolts, and can't find them sold seperately anywhere. I would like to bend the bars to interface with my handle bars properly. How can I heat the bark busters to bend them to fit properly? Anybody have any experience with this?

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
New guards would be the best option to fit up nice with your new bars. I have had good luck with Acebris guards mounting with no bending required.

Otherwise wrap the old guards with a rag or use wood blocks to protect them, drop them in vise and apply some muscle. Use a pipe or pipe wrench if you need more leverage.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I beat the snot out of my Acerbis handguards with a sledge hammer to get them bent to my liking... too much and it will weaken the aluminum though... FYI

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I have some of the bar end-insert wedge bolts of which I could send to you (new in package); e-mail me your addie.

The cross-threadded threads can be retapped and made useful again. Buy waht you need. Most of the threads are M8 or 6, and you can use the taps for other bike repairs.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Also, consider mounting to the upper triple clamp instead of to the inner mounts supplied with the bark busters. If you do this, you will not have to bend the barkbuster if running narrow bars.

To mount to the triple clamp, you will need to fabricate a mount and to replace your fork pinch bolts with longer ones. Aluminum stock similar in thickness and width to the barkbuster will work fine for a mount. You will need a vice to bend it to shape.

Mounted this way, you will have more room for levers (no need to run shorties), and the hand-guards will be further from your hands. This is good if you go over the bars, as you can break your wrist on the hand-guards in an endo.

Glynis27

Jul 7, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
Also, consider mounting to the upper triple clamp instead of to the inner mounts supplied with the bark busters. If you do this, you will not have to bend the barkbuster if running narrow bars.

To mount to the triple clamp, you will need to fabricate a mount and to replace your fork pinch bolts with longer ones. Aluminum stock similar in thickness and width to the barkbuster will work fine for a mount. You will need a vice to bend it to shape.

Mounted this way, you will have more room for levers (no need to run shorties), and the hand-guards will be further from your hands. This is good if you go over the bars, as you can break your wrist on the hand-guards in an endo.

This is a good idea. Are you able to post pictures os the bracket?

-Ryan-

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I just took some pics, but will need to resize them and get them posted later.

Each bracket is 1/4" x 1" aluminum stock, and about 3" long. The bottom 2" of each has two holes in it and bolts to the triple clamp. The top 1" is bent forward at an angle of 45 degrees, with a hole drilled in it to mount the bark buster.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
From the front

Attachments

• 1636-2259-130157.jpg
    1636-2259-130157.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
As far as wedge bolts, I've driven regular nuts into the end of the handle bars and used a regular bolt in the bar end. This works fine. You may have to grind the outer edge of the nut to fit the inner bar in some cases.
Put the nut on the end of a bolt and use a hammer to drive it in. Unscrew the bolt and your done. Just make sure you drive the nut a little past the end, don't leave it flush. This way, the handguard will get tight against the bar end.
After your done, start saving your money for some Cycra Probends with the triple clamp mounts. ;)

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Hey Placelast, if you still have them, I could use those wedge bolts. Send me an email and I will give you my address. Or I can come by your place in SLO. Let me know.

Top Bottom