thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I had a pretty hard crash at Saddleback on Thursday night and as a result my sub-frame is bent. :whiner:

My question is this. Is it possible to have it straightened or should it just be replaced? I will more than likely sell the bike in the next 6 months so that I can get a nice used or maybe a new orange scooter.

If I have to get a new sub-frame any suggestions on where to get one cheap? So far the cheapest I found is $235

The bike in question is a 00' cr125

Thanks.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I am guessing it's Aluminum? Kinda tricky with heat because it can ignite. Talk to JayBird about specs for yourself but I would think a good shop can straighten it without any problems. You may end up paying a little but it should be cheaper than new.
Phillip

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Depends upon how badly it is bent.

I have straigtened many that were less than 6 inches off center.
Is it bent up or down? Twisted like licorice?

I had a AC Racing subframe on my 97 for 3 seasons & had no problems with it, but I seem to be in the minority. almost every post I have seen about them was negative. I think they are around $170-180.

Best of luck
FJ

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I'm convinced that subframes are made of swiss cheese. Mine's bent, but not to the point where it messes anything up too much. I'd consider the BBR subframes, I think they are stronger than stock (but more expensive). Just my idea

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Yes it's aluminum. It's mostly bent to the side about 2 to 4 inches off center.

yzeater - Why don't you just go get yourself one of those BBR subframes (you know that you want one) and I'll buy your stocker off of ya for like say $6.00 plus shipping. ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
If you know a good body shop, they can do a pretty good job of straightening it out with a porta-power. My brother tweaked the sub on his YZ426F and my old man (a body and fender man for many moons) managed to get it back into shape.

BUT, there is a caveat: usually, after straightening the sub won't be as strong as before. Also, it could cause more damage. Find a cheap sub somewhere (or save up for one) then try the straightening. If it works, then you have some jack for some other moto-goodies. If it doesn't, then you buy the new one.

Good luck

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tony.

They are pretty easy to straighten. Remove your tank, seat and fender. lay the bike on it's side and put a block of wood under the frame right where the sub-frame connects to the main frame.

Have someone hold down the front end and have Bundy, or someone of similar size jump up and down on the rear of the sub-frame until it is straight. Align the rear section with the main frame tube under the tank. Inspect it for cracks. If you need it welded, call me.

Irish. Aluminum won't ignite, but it will melt at a very low temp.

Ol'89r

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I was thinking of repeating the crash but this time I would bail off the opposite side of the bike. Hopefully it would tweak the frame back in place. But I think I like Ol'89ers idea better. If that doesn't work I'll just have to throw down the $$ for a new one.

Thanks for the replys guys.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
So when you ride, your bike kinda dog legs in the back?! You really don't need one, all it holds is the seat, rear fender and that rag infested airbox! Toss it out, don't sit down and join in on the trials forum!:D

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
once on a ride a long time ago i had a nasty highside that left my subframe bent off center by 4 inches. the bike was a kx and had a steel frame with an aluminum subframe. i got it back to the truck and got a chain out from the back of the truck. i used that chain to attatch the frame to a tree. next i got out a come-a- long out and hooked it up to the subframe and the next nearest tree. i pulled the frame until it was centered. i had to go past center a bit but when i let tension off everything lined up. i double checked the airbox to make sure it and the carb were lined up. i finished the day with no problems. when i got home i reattatched the hardware to raise the subframe to its original position. i rode that bike mx for the next three yrs. your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom