Best Ride w/i 10 hours of Dallas?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Here's a question, preceded by an introduction:

My son and I want to take a trip during spring break to do 3-4 days of riding. Where is the best riding area within a day's drive of Dallas. What's your favorite?

The nominees are . . .

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
How many hours is it to Ocotillo Wells in Southern Ca? That might be within your range, go to mapquest and see what the distance is. It's the best riding around here, and it's only 1 1/2 hours away!

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
Well, it's just that Muenster is fairly close and I've been there 3 times in the last few weeks. I love riding there but if I was gonna go for a few days I would go somewhere I wasn't very familiar with.
Den

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Trailryder, tell me more about Chadwick--how big, what kind of terrain, any pretty scenery, etc.?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I just looked at the aerial view on Mapquest; Chadwick is certainly not lacking in hills. Where do you ride--on public land, or private? Spark arrestors needed? Off-road registration required?

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Cloud Croft, NM. They hold the Mile High enduro there. Its a state park with plenty of trail. The enduro has a sound check and a USFA spark arrestor will be reqired. It might be to late to go now because of the snow. I here great reports from every one that goes there. I have seen some pictures and it looks like a blast. Trailrider42 might know more than me about it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I hear that southern Utah, Lake Powell area, is really great. They filmed alot of motocross videos out there and the weather is super.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Taraker, you're undoubtedly right about Cloudcroft, but in March I don't think many of the trails will be open. We're looking for a place during spring break. I want to make a summer trip to CC, though.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
little sahara state park in waynoka, oklahoma. everyone needs to ride the dunes at least once in their lifetime.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
lake powell is very cool but it is very far too try 18 hrs. great weather and out of this world scenery.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Hey JMD, check out the link to my picture page and take a look at the Chadwick folder. The trails are in the Mark Twain National Forest just outside Chadwick, Mo.. Permits and maps can be had at the only gas station in town. Lots of nice scenery. I believe spark arrestors are required. Terrain consists of hardpack to gravelly to rocky and some roots. It's a really nice area, fairly large, and the camping area is paved. Nearest motels are 15 miles away in Ozark. Chadwick is one of the neatest places I've been in a long time.

As for Cloudcroft, rode there again last month during a break in the weather. It has some really nice trails too, great scenery and the National Solar Observatory in Sunspot makes for an interesting break. You can look at pics of Cloudcroft on my picture page also.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Head north to OKC, ride Draper a day, then head an hour and half north to Stilwater, then leave and head a few hours north and east to Chadwick. Good three day trip. Call me I can arrange a place to ride and camp for a day close to Stillwater.

Top Bottom