bought my first ever "modern" street bike, an fz1! wow!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
My street bike history consists of:
CB750
Kawi H-2 750 2 stroke
KZ700
XR650L (current)

with encouragement from the wife, I got the bug for a larger, more modern street bike (and when the woman actually encourages you to get another bike, well, you know...)

went down to the dealership and test rode a Suzuki Bandit 1200. for those of you that don't know, this has the old generation GSXR motor with a bit milder tuning. turned the corner onto the interstate ramp and wicked up the throttle in second gear...holy crap! I couldn't believe how that thing pulled! ...And pulled!

then they showed me a Yamaha FZ1. This is like the R1 (1000 cc "crotchrocket"), but without most of the plastic fairing stuff and with a more midrange-oriented engine. Also the seating position is more upright, more suitable for long trips. When we sat on the bikes, the FZ was more comfortable for the passenger (per my wife) than the Bandit. Then I test rode the FZ. The Bandit had felt great, but the FZ felt even better. I went home with the FZ and a big grin on my face. The last few days, even during crappy weather i've been riding and riding that thing. What a great bike! Today I had to take a break so I could ride in the woods.

I am paranoid about all of the idiot drivers out there, but I am quickly learning to be a very defensive and alert rider on the street. It helps to be on a machine capable of quick stops or manuvering (unlike the cruisers or older bikes i've ridden).

The only thing that bums me out, is that the three Hondas in the garage haven't yet made friends with that new blue Yamathingamagig...

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
OH man, you're gonna love it. Got 3600 miles on mine and it's not enough. I changed both sprockets on mine and WOW, way quicker, even though you think it's not possible. On the sprockets I went from a stock 16/44 setup to a 15/47. Mine is the Liquid Silver color. I was gonna buy blue but they didn't have one but I'm happy I got the silver now. I guess it grew on me. Rev that baby to 11,500 and that grin will be a permanent fixture on your face. Just break it in first and watch the front wheel. It will stand up faster than you think. In more gears than you think.

There's also a great forum for the FZ1. Awesome tips and a vast wealth of FZ1 knowledge. www.yamahafz1oa.com

Well, enjoy it. :)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've been lusting after one of them for a while now. Offered to trade a Sportster for one on that fz1oa board and started a week long flame fest. Ah... good fun.

Enjoy.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Both bikes seem good. I have read quite a bit about the bandit as I hang out on a DR350 page. The admin sold his and started some Katana and Bandit forums. They have grown much larger than the old DR side. I hang out on there forums quite a bit.

The Yamaha is a bit more up to date as you had said. I not sure I would need all that a liter bike has to offer though. The FZ6 looks like a super cool bike. I was in the yamaha shop for some goggle lenses and they had one on the floor. I'm sure I left a trail of drool all the way to the door.

Good luck with the new ride and yes there plenty of stupid drivers out there. If you have not I taken it I would suggest a Motor Cycle saftey coarse (might help combat the stupid "cagers"). Always new stuff to learn and most insurance companies will cut you a break on insurance.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
CONGRATS on the new bike. All you need is a KTM 400sx and your bike collection will be the same as my brother's and mine combined.

You must have good taste!!

The FZ1 is twice as fast as my 650L but I can plain leave him in the twisties. I am putting some 100% street tires on when the dual purpose tires wear out. The FZ1 DEFINITELY rides nice and power WHENEVER you want it. He got a lower fairing for it and it looks real good.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm jelous. I looked and looked and looked at the FZ1 sittin in my local shop. but just can't justify the payments.

Have fun, and tell those red bikes in your garage that jealousy is an ugly emotion.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
I have also got a FZ1. A very fun bike. To me it is the KTM 400 mxc of the dirt bike world - very functional in most situations (oh - I have one of them too :) . A very good all around bike. The biggest suprise to me was the handleing. Light, quick, and great breaks - gives a lot of confidence on the road.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Ride the dang thing as if you have a target on both front and back and assume that EVERYONE else on the road is driving blind! I will admit that I recently went back to street bikes after I finally came across my personal dream bike. I ride a 1957 Harley Panhead, bone stock and immaculately restored. After my wife suggested that she didn't like the rigid frame ride, I found a good deal on a 1996 Heritage Softail, with her blessing! She would like me to shed a few dirt bikes though!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
ghostrider-is there any way to correct the speedo error, or do you just live with it? Sounds interesting...I may just change the front sprocket and try it...that's cheap. With the stock gearing, first gear does over 60 and second does over 100 mph!

Without using the clutch, just rolling on the throttle at a lower rpm, the bike doesn't really jerk the front end up much, though. It "floats" it in first when I hit about 8000 rpm, but it's so smooth i didn't notice it until I hit a cross wind and realized the front tire wasn't on the ground! I think it floats it up in second too, but I haven't revved it out in second more than a couple times and I have been more worried about other things than if the front tire was off the ground. Some owners claim their "stock" bike will flip if they don't let off just with roll on throttle, but i'm skeptical. Sure doesn't feel like the engine is anything but real, real healthy!

Gotta love the little powerslide action in first when you blip it a bit with it leaned over.

I'd better take a picture now while it's still in "sport" mode...soon it will have a taller windshield, rear rack and/or soft bags, and maybe a short backrest for the passenger.

James, when you get ready for tires for the 650L check out Avon Distanzias. They work great for aggressive street riding, and still work on a bit of dirt as long as you avoid sand and mud. Probably 90/10. One of the few decent tires avail. for 18"/21". The fact that the bottom side of my footpegs are half scraped away shows just how well they work! Otherwise there are a few dirt track or "rain" tires that work well, somewhere I have research on this if you are interested.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Go to the FZ1 website I showed you, then click on FZ1OA Message Board. Look at the top of the page on the right. Click on Pat's FZ1 site. There's more info there about the FZ1 than at the Yamaha dealer. Even on the speedo.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I never did feel comfortable to attempt a wheelie on it (mostly because if I fell I'd have to pay for it), but I agree with your "anything but real healthy" comment. No lack of power for sure, but nothing scary either.

I was looking at Avon tires actually. Can't remember which one now. When the time comes, I'll take you up on your offer. Sorry to get off topic, but the other thing I'd like is a slipper clutch for the 650L. You ever get annoyed by the rear wheel locking while kicking it down a gear?? Too much engine braking for me.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Interesting that you brought that up. I crashed the XR in a Battletrax (concrete) race once because I shifted from 3rd to 2nd, then accidently let the clutch out while leaned way over in a turn. The solution (other than just not doing that) was to gear the bike so I could do the whole course in 2nd. For that type of riding, the compression braking is actually an advantage.

Just put a complete clutch kit in the XR, it turned out all it needed was the springs, the fibre plates measured like new but I put the whole kit in anyway.

Rode the FZ again tonight. I ordered the smaller front sprocket for it, but i'm not sure if it needs it. What a great engine! The "sweet spot" on the tach is from 4000 all the way up to near redline. Anyone considering a street bike, make sure you give the FZ a look.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom