oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
it is the low res but I liked it and felt it was a fairly good shot. Any suggestions in the future to look for would be appreciated

Attachments

• drn sample 1.jpg
    drn sample 1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 358

r0yal

Jul 25, 2006
I'm not really one to critique hah, but I think the red on his jersey is a little too bright, tone that down abit, but other than that, nice shot ( - the low qual :( )

B

biglou

Nice shot dave. What size is the original? Email it to me and I'll hack on it for a while if you want...

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'm actually thinking it could be lightened up a tad. Could be my monitor here at work thought. Nice shot! Way to use the "rule of thirds" :)

Send the original to Lou. These photoshop guru's can take a great pic and turn it into something amazing. :cool:

B

biglou

Well, I dunno...

It's a bit out of focus. This took me just a couple minutes, if you want to do a poster, maybe let Bob or one of the other more better PS'ers than me hit it. It does get pretty grainy as it gets bigger.

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
As mentioned before it is a little out of focus. What was your f stop? If you don't have a real fast focusing camera you can compensate for that somewhat by setting the f stop a little higher. Of course if you do that you lose some shutter speed and may need to bump up the iso rating. I like the composition with the rider all the way to the left and the roost spraying out. About the only thing I could say about that would be if there was a little more roost it might make it appear to have more action in it. Is it cropped? I might put a little back over the helmet and take some of the berm out but not all of it. Maybe burn down some of the berm in the foreground as well, it's a little distracting. Not to much though you want it to be a different shade to give you the depth.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Photojojo
Thanks that is some great pointers. The shot as posted was straight from the camera- no cropping orprocessing done other then to downsize to post it. My wife liked it and wants to have it made into a poster for her office and another for Eric's dorm room.
I wish we could have gotten more roost but the ground was very tacky at that point.
I shot it with an old Rebel digital and as I am to lazy and uninformed I shot it in the auto sport mode. I really need to learn more about settings as I want to get some pics like you guys hit

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
From my very limited experience with shooting, I like the way the photo is set up. Rule of thirds, I think is what the teach called it in high school. Looks a bit fuzzy though. Maybe a hair out of focus, or maybe its just me. Good picture of Spider. You don't have to try to make him look fast!

B

biglou

Without knowing why, I wound up going really big on the unsharp mask on that one, made the smaller version look ok (much sharper), but in full res, it's pretty grainy. It's out of focus enough that all "I" can get out of it is either fuzzy or grainy. So, not the best candidate for a poster. I bet you could get an acceptable 8x10 out of it. $3 from Wal-Mart in 1 hour! (would require another post processing, though. don't use this one!)

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
In my opinion if the photo is out of focus there is not much you can do for it that does not degrade something else...especially at poster size. 8x10 maybe.

No problem on the pointers...I would have never gotten anywhere if someone had not told me what was wrong with my photos. I still need critiques all the time.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
oldguy said:
Hawk that is a nice touch I still like back in my college days shooting almost exclusively in B&W but I like the touch of the combination

They didn't specifically refer to it as B+W then thought correct? I'm pretty sure that didn't start until after they invented color film :nener:

Top Bottom