Can gouges in cylinder be fixed?

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
My son's 02 KX 85 lost the ciclip on the piston pin and got lodged between piston and cylinder wall. Left 2 nasty gouges. Can these be repaired? I thinking not? Cost to bore, sleeve, and replate is the same as just buying a new cylinder: $225. What do you guys think?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Langcourt can fix the gouges and replate the cyl. without boring or resleeving, but it will cost around $200.00 + shipping it there and back. I'd just buy the new one if you can get it for $225.00. less hassle, less waiting. :cool:

wasted

Mar 14, 2004
my RM250 did that a few weeks ago, and gouged my cylinder up pretty bad(in my opinion anyway...), I sent mine down to Eric Gorr who overbored it, cleaned it up, and redid everything...

to be very honest, with 75% of my riding being trail riding, and alot of that riding being with kids, I was kind of leary at the time about overboring that cylinder like that(for reliability reasons) and would probably have just prefered to stay stock with it, but after talking to him and getting it back and riding it, I'm glad I had it done...pretty awesome job, and for that bike it was alot cheaper than replacing the cylinder...

I have friends who have had work done by him, but I personally have only talked to Eric a couple times on the phone and this is the first time he has ever done any work for me, and I have to say his work is first rate, I was very impressed, he had everything all set to just bolt up and ride, he even had the power valve adjusted spot on, I didnt have to mess with it at all...

if you havent already, I'd give him a call and see what he says... I know he's got my business from now on...

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
overbore

you can overobore and replate for about $150 through millenium. It will save a few $$$. If you go .080 over you won't need to mod the head because the .080 over pistons have an adjusted piston top to compensate for the larger bore and squish.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom