pace

Nov 21, 2003
I'm considering buying an XR650R which I would want to get registered so I can legally ride to-from trails, etc. I've heard this is easy in Colorado, and that all is needed are lights, mirror, and horn. I'd be very grateful if somebody could point me to a resource that details the exact requirements and where to take the machine to get it certified, or otherwise give me detailed instructions on what I'll need to do and what the cost of registration is.

I want to make sure I'm fully informed of the requirements before I part with my streetbike to pay for this thing. ;)

TIA.
-Pace

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Check out: Colorado Reqs

That is the Certificate of Conformance that is required to convert a off-road bike. You will also need a VIN verification, normally done at the local PD or certain auto shops for a fee.

I'd recommend you join the Yahoo group cotrailriders and search posts with title of "bike registration" starting around mid May 2004. Good info over there.

BTW, welcome. :cool:

Troy

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
If you get into the DS thing, you may also want to join the Yahoo group codualsporters also. I'm hoping to do the same thing you are, but can't make up my mind between the XR650R or the WR450. I'm ruled out the KTM 625 I think.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'm looking to do this with a YZ250. (even though I live in Cali I'm still a resident of Colorado) Has any one here tried to DS a Two Stroke or know any one that has in Colorado?

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Kav said:
I'm looking to do this with a YZ250. (even though I live in Cali I'm still a resident of Colorado) Has any one here tried to DS a Two Stroke or know any one that has in Colorado?

Kav:

Yes, you can DS a two-stroke in CO,fairly easily, from what I've learned. I've been thinking about doing my CR500 for a while, just can't quite convince myself to do it just yet. That, and I just bought a KLR650R for DS service. But it would be nice to shed the lard and grap a handful of 2-smoke on the tarmac........

Technically speaking, you really just need to fill out the state form indicating the bike is fit for highway duty. In other words,you have to modify it for road use, except for the metal tank which is a Federal requirement usually overlooked at the state level. Then do your VIn verification and go to the DMV.

Top Bottom