jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Make sure the woodruff key on the magneto is not sheared off which would cause it to spark at the wrong time.
Make sure the stator coil has good ground connections. If they are rusty then that introduces unwanted resistance into the ignition system.
Last of all, unplug the stator coil from the CDI and put an analog voltmeter on the wires from the stator coil and with the spark plug out then kick the engine over hard and look that there's at least 30 volts AC. If not then its bad.

Pete sykes

Aug 2, 2016
Make sure the woodruff key on the magneto is not sheared off which would cause it to spark at the wrong time.
Make sure the stator coil has good ground connections. If they are rusty then that introduces unwanted resistance into the ignition system.
Last of all, unplug the stator coil from the CDI and put an analog voltmeter on the wires from the stator coil and with the spark plug out then kick the engine over hard and look that there's at least 30 volts AC. If not then its bad.
The 77 dt is point ignition.the 77 mx was CDI. I realized last night that I had turned a flywheel the wrong way when I was trying to find before top dead center when I was setting ignition timing. Fix that this afternoon and I did get it to fire for about 15 seconds and that it died but I didn't have the expansion chamber on it. I just want to add this is a vintage flat tracker that I built using the DT motor only and it does not have battery or a standard type ignition switch just a black wire coming from the Magneto to the coil any help would appreciate it I'm not sure which one is this static oil also should I replace the condenser or does that have nothing to do with starting the bike

Pete sykes

Aug 2, 2016
Tomorrow I'll put the pipe back on Fresh spark plug and see where I'm at I'm still worried that it's going to die after a couple seconds or so I do have the points set to 1.126 inch btdc,new ignition coil,new points installed

Crf250rr

Jan 24, 2022
If I sprayed starter fluid into the cylinder, shouldn't it start?

See the thing is... the cylinder has plenty of fuel in it, and when I take out the spark plug, it comes out looking brand new, yet very wet. I blow it off with a air compressor, put starter fluid in and kick and it doesn't start. I check for spark right after and before that and it still has a nice fat blue spark. Every now and then I'll get lucky and it will run for 5 seconds. I thought it was intermetent spark, so I replaced all of t

Any ideas now? :(
Im about 15 years late but anyways it was probaly your reeds my old 2 strokes did that when the reeds broke or was cracked

Top Bottom