Confussed Aussie! Need New Bike Help...

Powerage

Feb 12, 2006
Hi all...

Please bear with this post, hoping for some pointers, cuz im exhausted from all this internet research over the past few months...

Looking for a new bike to replace my XR250. Have been riding for 12mths now, and can handle the xr250 very well. Like riding mostly single track and more recently, learning how to handle jumps, not freestyle size, but just natural hits you find around the bush, and also wouldnt mind playing around on the local mx track from time to time.

My problem is im looking for a bike with more power to keep up with my friends on more open type track, but dont want a big pig of a bike that will make it hard to enjoy my singletrack. My friends ride mostly 250F's but they are also all around the 80kg mark.

I always read things like, im a big bloke, i weight 100kgs, will a 250 (4stroke) be fine. But im up around the 110kg mark, and think that a more performace orientated 250 might still be the way to go, But also, im quite strong so maybe the extra weight of a 450 wont bother me as much as smaller blokes, and i wont be revving it as much. Any bigger blokes riding 250Fs on here?

I also think that it might be a good idea to get out on something like a YZ250F for 12mths and improve my riding skills some more before stepping up to an open class bike.

I know ultimately i need to get out and try and ride a 450 to see for myself, but until then, im looking here for a few pointers..

Bikes i have thought about so far include YZ250F, YZ426F, WR450 and then also the 250 two strokes as another alternitive, but having never ridden a two stroke, there is some fear there i suppose.

ANyways, feel free to let me know what you rekon. Ill look forward to some replys...

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Yo powerage,

Dirt bikes certainly have their place for us Aussies eh. Sooo much land to carve up.
I am a 2 stroke enthusiast, so I may be bias, but I think your best option would be a 250 2 stroke. They are cheaper to buy and maintain, easier to fix and loads of fun.
Unless you want to be MR competitive in open motocross I would stay away from the new 4 strokes. A 450 4 stroke will have more power but they can be extremely expensive to fix - and harder to do yourself. More maintenance too.
A 250 4 stroke - I would say forget that. Just as expensive to fix as the 450 but less power than a 2 stroke 250.

I am 100kg and rode a cr250 for years. It was the perfect power to wait ratio for trails/motocross/jumps. Get one! You can pick up sweet ones for like $1500 - $2000.

But hey that's just my opinion. I ride an 82 IT465. No good for jumps or corners, but could climb Mt Everest in any gear.

UTS

UTS

Jan 3, 2007
uts said:
Yo powerage,

Dirt bikes certainly have their place for us Aussies eh. Sooo much land to carve up.
I am a 2 stroke enthusiast, so I may be bias, but I think your best option would be a 250 2 stroke. They are cheaper to buy and maintain, easier to fix and loads of fun.
Unless you want to be MR competitive in open motocross I would stay away from the new 4 strokes. A 450 4 stroke will have more power but they can be extremely expensive to fix - and harder to do yourself. More maintenance too.
A 250 4 stroke - I would say forget that. Just as expensive to fix as the 450 but less power than a 2 stroke 250.

I am 100kg and rode a cr250 for years. It was the perfect power to wait ratio for trails/motocross/jumps. Get one! You can pick up sweet ones for like $1500 - $2000.

But hey that's just my opinion. I ride an 82 IT465. No good for jumps or corners, but could climb Mt Everest in any gear.

UTS

UTS

Man dont you just love the old ITs. I have a 465, 400, 250 and 175. I like the 465 the most for hillclimbs and the 250 for jumping.

As for your bike options, they are unlimeted and it can become hard to pick one. I will give you my best picks for your ridding and size in order from best to would do the trick.
1. KTM 200, 250, or 300(E)XC-(W)
2. YZ250 ( with some performance parts makes a good woods bike)
2. RM250 ( the RM is just as good in the woods as the YZ)
3. KX250 ( it has a different powerband then the others but you might like it more then me)
4. CR250 ( once again it has the different hit to it but you might like it)
5. CR500 ( i know its big and powerful but with some mods it makes an awsome woods bike and 4th gear wheelies are good)
6. CRF250X ( it is fairly light but has quite a bit of matinence to it)
7. WR250F ( it handles different then the CRF in a way i dont like but you might)
8. KDX220 or 200 ( if you dont mind doing some suspension work then this would be cheap and fun to ride)
9. This is my final one and it would be any Yamaha IT. but because of it being out dated it can be a bit different to ride.

If you want to know more on any of these bikes then post again and i will be happy to give my opinion. Good luck and keep your stick on the ice :)

uts

Jan 8, 2004
2 strokes for life said:
Man dont you just love the old ITs. I have a 465, 400, 250 and 175. I like the 465 the most for hillclimbs and the 250 for jumping

wicked,
you sure do love the old beasts then. Yeah I love my 465, but jumping is a bit unpredictable. But I love it bexcause it can tackle any mountain, swamp, etc etc

Top Bottom