yodadada

Aug 19, 2003
I just picked up a 1983 CR 480 R.

I have not been on a dirt bike for about 15 years but I have been looking for a dirt bike lately to ride with my son.

I got my son a four stroke 90cc bike that is made in china. It’s a semi-auto four speed and he seems to be picking up on it really well.

I know that the 480 is way more bike than I need but it was such a great deal I just couldn’t pass it up.

Anyway my question is this. Are there any contacts out there for replacement parts for this bike?
I have done a couple searches on the internet and I have found lots of brake pads, sprockets, and gaskets but I haven’t found replacement plastics or other parts such as levers, shifter, pegs, etc.

I hope to take the bike up to Gorman this coming Saturday. I’ll be the guy who looks like he is just learning how to ride again.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Yo: I think you need to spend a lot of time surfing eBay for starters. Plastic is about the hardest thing to find in general. Also visit the AHRMA web site (www.ahrma.org) for some links and help and ads from firms that specialize in old Hondas. Also go visit www.vmx-mag.com for more links. Keeping vintage bikes in parts is a long-term proposition and it helps to be stubborn/persistent/crazy.

Husky Texan

Oct 6, 2000
Plastic (fenders F&R) is available from Maier. Scott Steger at Red Racer is in the process of reproducing 480 plastic also, I believe. Most 480 parts are still available from Honda. The only part I haven't been able to find so far is a carb manifold.

yodadada

Aug 19, 2003
Markthomps – thanks, I’ll be visiting those sites soon.

Husky Texan – I was on the Red Racer site and didn’t see any plastics for the 480 but I will keep my eye on it.

I picked up a manual for it and I started reading the trouble shooting and tune-up sections.

The bike starts up after three or four kicks after I put a new spark plug in it. I figure that’s not bad but it seems to be running a bit rough. So far I have adjusted the air mixture screw on the carburetor and replaced that spark plug.

Any suggestions on the next steps to take in trouble shooting the rough idle?

I haven’t really had it out to see how it feels through the gears.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
http://www.heaven-vmx.com/links.htm

Under Honda, there are many sites that make old plastics. I think Elsinore.com is one of them for the 480. Have a look around. That was a great bike.

redrocket190

Apr 9, 2002
Hope to see you racing the '83 CR480R at either the Southwestern Vintage Racing Group (http://www.svrg.com) or California Vintage Motocross (http://www.calvmx.com) events. You will have a lot of fun and there will be plenty of people to help you with your bike, including several other CR480R owners.

You should keep an eye on eBay for second-hand parts for this bike, but a surprising number of parts are still available from Honda, although not cheap. The Red Racer site, discussion board and swap meet (http://www.red-racer.com) will also be valuable.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Put some rubber chunks between the fins on the Cyl to keep them from ringing and fill the handlebars with silicone caulk to help keep vibration down and youll like the bike better. They rip .

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
They use a bushed linkage w/o brgs if I remember right.
Keep the linkage lubricated well and forget about it.
They also came with a keihin carb that was kinda finicky to get a smooth throttle response, we had some succes swapping the keihin for a mikuni vm, in regards to upping the rideability and ppower delivery.
I was pretty dumb back then, posing as a smart guy so my advice is suspect.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I might know of one that's for sale if you're interested. Most guys riding vintage bikes keep one or two "spares" around.

yodadada

Aug 19, 2003
I'm spending a few bucks on the one I have now, about $500.00 so I don't think I can buy another one right now... How much did he want for it? shhhh, don't tell my wife ;-)

yodadada

Aug 19, 2003
Originally posted by SFO
They use a bushed linkage w/o brgs if I remember right.
Keep the linkage lubricated well and forget about it.
They also came with a keihin carb that was kinda finicky to get a smooth throttle response, we had some succes swapping the keihin for a mikuni vm, in regards to upping the rideability and ppower delivery.
I was pretty dumb back then, posing as a smart guy so my advice is suspect.

Thanks for the tip... I happen to have a bunch of mikuni jets. I could check the local salvage yard for a carb.

480 mike

Jun 6, 2007
just picked up a 480 yesterday for 700$. it looks good but also needs plastic. havent tryed it out yet but it should tear for a 43 year old!

480 mike

Jun 6, 2007
i sripped the 480 down to the bare frame and had it sand blasted.tomorrow she gets powder coated the factory orangey red and gets put together this week should look good.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
cool! my uncle just finished rebuilding his cr 480 r, it's been out of operation since 95', and when he bought his Suzuki drz 650, he decided to rebuild it.

those things are so hard to kick over!

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Only replace the things that pose a safety hazard or are totally broken and repaired and 100% need fixing. I did the same thing with an old 82 RM125 and in the long run I spent wayyy to much and it blew up. Just ride the damn thing trust me. If it was cheap enough then who cares just go out and have fun with your kid and don't sink a ton of money into it. Just enjoy the riding time with your kid.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom