Soccer13

Oct 14, 2001
I might be purchasing a new CR80 expert, but how will it do in trails? Some trails i ride r pretty wide open and some are tight and slower goin. My dad has a XR200 would i be able to keep up with him?

Last edited:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I race enduro on a CR80 expert...

and I'm 39 years old...lol

i think its a fun bike in the trails.:)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Instead of running a Bres10 or Bres9, in the slow trails you might want to use a Bres8. Don't go any hotter than that. Also you might have to change the jetting if it fouls plugs whether you are riding trails or not.

A CR80 is pretty peaky and it might take a little while to get feel for the bike before you are fast on the trail.

My son switched from an XR100 to a YZ85 and was instantly faster on the MX track, but it took him 2 or three weekends before he was faster in the trails. At first he was actually slower there.

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
If it is a tight trail just be sure to stay in a low gear and wind it out wherever it is possible. If you foul a plug on a tight trail and your only on it for like 5 minutes then you probably have a jetting problem. It shouldn't foul plugs all the time, just be sure to wind it out whenever you can and you should be fine. A 2 stroke MX bike like that isn't meant to be luged at low RPM's. If you want a 2 stroke you better know how to wind it out in most places, because that is what they're are made for. 2 strokes don't foul plugs all the time because there 2 strokes they foul plugs because there not being ridden right or there is a jetting problem.

Soccer13

Oct 14, 2001
yep i know all about widding them out and that type of thing, but if there is an easier way to do it then i would take that then always have to be in the gear lower

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Soccer-
they make a flywheel weioght that will help the CR80 be a better trail /woods bike.

"Steahly" flywheel weights

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
Well then got to a BR9ES plug instead of a 10. Most 80's run 10's. I would go to an 8 incase the manual calls for a 9. If the manual says to run a BR10 then it is ok to run a BR9. My YZ125 says to run a 9 but I'm running an 8 and it gives it better throttle response, and it starts easier.

So basicly going 1 hotter in the heat range won't hurt it, but don't do anything until you find out for yourself it is fouling plugs. If you run a BR10 like the manual says and you don't foul them a lot then don't change to a 9, but if you are fouling the 10's like every ride or more then go to a hotter plug.

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
Oh yeah before you go to a hotter plug try getting help on changing the jetting, because going to a hotter plug should not be you first option, but it won't hurt it.

About the CR 80 being peaky, he means that it has to be wound out, it doesn't lug very well it wants to be wound out all the time or it bogs.

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
Going 1 hotter on the plug will make it not have to be wound out all the time, but still wind it out whenever you can(not just because it will clear it out, but its fun:p).

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Peaky means the powerband is way up high. ANd it is. My cr fouls bres 9 plugs every hour on trails.it will beat the **** out of your dad on the wide open places, but because of that powerband it will lack in trails.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
I have no clue

why my son's CR80E does this but he could lug that thing anywhere and bog it down to dead stop and never foul a plug..he could take off in third booooowwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooogoggooggggggg!!! smiling....
So while im changing one on my YZ he passes by struttin.:think
I think im going to RAM UM!!!!:confused:
have fun>>>>later.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by Soccer13
how do i get more low end then? a pipe?

If they make it for a CR80 a FMF Gnarly pipe should move the power band down a little, and a flywheel weight will make the hit, where the power comes on, less abrupt and more controllable. The weight will also give the engine more momentum so it will not bog or stall as easilly.

The other way to get more power down low is to buy a KX100. It is about the same size as a CR80 expert, has bigger piston, more torque. And has a power valve so it mechanically changes the exhust port depending on RPMs. All the 125s have power valves, but only RM80 and KX85/100 minis have them.

(Actualy I'm not sure about any of the 65cc or down minis, but I know we are not talking about them.)

Honda Rippin'

Feb 19, 2001
Whoa, I haven't been on here for a while. Hehe. Anyway, to answer your question about them 80's, they're great bikes on the trail if you do certain things. Run 92 octane fuel in them, keeps the plug from fouling. Also, put a 14 tooth primary sprocket on the bike. It gives you more low end. If you can, but an FMF Fatty pipe. That will also give you more low end. The bike rips already, you should be able to spank an XR 200 EASY. Stay on the pipe and don't ride it on the top of the band all the time, you'll thank yourself for not doing that unless you like to redo your top end every 6 months. I'm very partial to Honda. If you can, get to some open places, put that 15 tooth primary back on there and just tear up. With the right stuff, I'm sure you could easily get them to go at least 60. Have fun.

Soccer13

Oct 14, 2001
"Stay on the pipe and don't ride it on the top of the band all the time" whats this mean? And does anybody know where i can find a Fatty Pipe made for the CR80 Expert?

Honda Rippin'

Feb 19, 2001
That means run it at like 1/2 throttle or 3/4, not full all the time. If you do, you'll know when it's really frickin loud. If you do that your top end isn't goin to last as long but don't lug it either. CR's don't like low end unless you get some stuff for them, and lugging them still isn't a good idea, they just lug a little less and have more low end grunt. Go to your Honda dealer and see if they have a Fatty pipe. If they don't, order one. They're about $150 I think, I haven't checked in a while. Also, if you don't get a bike that has one, you'll need a spark arrested muffler. I don't know if they require one where you ride but if I rode without one, I'd be in serious trouble. FMF Turbine Core II is what I've got on mine, $140. So if you get everything, it'll be about $300 just for extras, maybe a little more.

Top Bottom