Solace64

Aug 1, 2010
Okay guys, just found this break in my sub frame, and I am looking for a welder that can fix it up for me. I live in Barto, PA, about 15 minutes from Pottstown, right near Boyertown, and about an hour outside of Philadelphia. Anyone have anybody they recommend?

Here's a picture...

subframe001.jpg

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Did you punch out all of those holes across that strap? If it's aluminum, you might be better off just having them replace that entire cross-strap that's cracked. It's stressing along all of those little holes, and it will continue to be a problem in the future. Any decent metal shop should be able to zip that up in mere minutes. There's no need to go to a motorcycle shop, or even an auto-machine shop.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Locate a place that has a good TIG welder on staff. Good chance it's more than just the guy on the corner with a generator and spool gun on his truck. Cut the home made works lightening job and replace it with a fresh piece, if it was ment ot have holes Honda would have put them there.

Solace64

Aug 1, 2010
Yeah the previous owner seemed to have some obsession with trying to cut weight on the bike or something. When I first looked at it I thought the holes were stock until I saw that they were irregular and actually broken along where the holes were.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Solace64 said:
Yeah the previous owner seemed to have some obsession with trying to cut weight on the bike or something. When I first looked at it I thought the holes were stock until I saw that they were irregular and actually broken along where the holes were.

lol, I know those types. I don't understand why they do that when all they have to do is set down the swiss roll and grab an apple. :think:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I think Rod Christel has a good TIG welder at Hot Rodz Bikes on rt 100 in the same building where Papa Bernards pizza is. Also Check with Chuck Smith right up the road your way on Rt 100. Tell either Rod or Chuck Jason sent you (The I-T guy).
I agree the entire member should be replaced. Holes like that should be punched out with a rounded radius lip to prevent cracking.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom