Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
my friend cracked the frame on his 04 125sx yeaterday, it cracked up near triple clamps. have any of you other ktm owners expirenced this problem with there ktms? if i remember right didnt one of the frestyler's break there ktm in half last year?

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Kenny Bartram broke his at the Dallas SX but I think the clamps broke and not the frame. KTM was quick to point that out.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
The freestyle guys go through a lot of frames. Once on a while they break during competition. Mostly they simply wear them out. They stretch and/or crack.

Wasn't it Seth Enslow or Mad Mike who did a massive 160+ footer ramp to ramp in a parking lot and the head stock broke off.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Seth Enslow.

He maybe able to get welded, I have not heard that KTM's frames are more likely to break. I have seen reports of CRF450 frames breaking and causing the cases to break as well. Any frame will crack or bend if landed on hard enough, enough times.

Jumo 628

Jul 12, 2004
Yes. I snapped an 01 CR250 in half. The pics are someehwere in the CR,KX, YZ thread. The good news is that the steel frame on the KTM is far easier to weld/gusset than the aluminum frames that are coming into vouge.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Triple clamps...

evenslower said:
Kenny Bartram broke his at the Dallas SX but I think the clamps broke and not the frame. KTM was quick to point that out.
I think that was David Pingree's 125 SX that broke it's triple clamps! :yikes:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Also-

clarification -

Seth broke his triple clamps,
NOT the frame!!!
on a 220 foot jump.
in which he was warming up for a world record attempt at 260'

he over jumped and flat landed.

it was my 99 CR500af, he is still riding it to this day.

they were aftermarket clamps, unsure of brand.

for what it worth-

alum frames are as easy to properlyweld and gusset as steel chromoly frames.

both should require certain procedures
that are very similar-

LJW

Dec 3, 2001
AJ Waggoner said:
alum frames are as easy to properlyweld and gusset as steel chromoly frames.

both should require certain procedures
that are very similar-

What procedures do you recommend for welding aluminum frames, specifically filler rod alloy and post-weld heat treatment?

Joemolf

Sep 20, 2005
Cracked 125SX

My son, 14 has a 125SX 04 and this weekend I discovered cracks near the steer tube on both sides just above where the gusset is welded. So the cracks are just above the welds and they run parallel to the welds. The bike has low time on it and I was kind of surprised. He's a jumper but lands them clean. He did tumble the bike once several months ago but when inspected the frame was fine. Even a month ago I had to replace the CDI and not that I was looking but I did not notice any cracks. He has several times dumped the bike in hot turns where I had to loosen the triple to staighten the wheel which I am suspecting is the root cause. I don't believe it is safe to weld the frame gusset because whats under neath the gusset is probably cracked as well. So I'm just going to purchase a new main frame. Unless someone can recommend a proper fix.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Joemolf said:
My son, 14 has a 125SX 04 and this weekend I discovered cracks near the steer tube on both sides just above where the gusset is welded. So the cracks are just above the welds and they run parallel to the welds. The bike has low time on it and I was kind of surprised. He's a jumper but lands them clean. He did tumble the bike once several months ago but when inspected the frame was fine. Even a month ago I had to replace the CDI and not that I was looking but I did not notice any cracks. He has several times dumped the bike in hot turns where I had to loosen the triple to staighten the wheel which I am suspecting is the root cause. I don't believe it is safe to weld the frame gusset because whats under neath the gusset is probably cracked as well. So I'm just going to purchase a new main frame. Unless someone can recommend a proper fix.

A good welder could make it stronger than it was before...

crazybeef

Sep 28, 2004
Ktm frames like any other frame are prone to cracking around the steering head when the tension on the bearings becomes loose. Check and adjust the steering stem often and don't forget to keep them greased.

Top Bottom