CRF 150F Front tire wash out issue.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
I just picked up an 05 CRF 150 to mess around on. I took it out yesterday and the thing scares me. Feels like I'm constantly fighting the bike to keep it upright cornering. The front end just wants to wash out. It finally got me coming over a nice size mound heading into a slight right hander.(second time I crashed in this exact situation, mound to right hander) The ground was bone dry and hard pack. The tire slid out and there I was on the ground and in pain, nothing serious but it did hurt quite a bit. Now, I have riden for years and years, and I have never had a bike want to wash out so much. I'm 6' tall and 175 pounds. Would you guys agree that the stock forks are not up to task? I ride pretty aggressively but only plan on trail riding this bike. Do you think the forks being so soft are contributing to the bike wanting to wash out? And more importantly what can I do about it? I've heard of guys doing the PVC inserts with heavier oil. Will this help or would I need to re-valve the forks to really make a difference. Basically, I'm asking you guys to help me understand and fix the wash out issue. It's not that fun to ride when you're scared you're going to crash all day. I've crashed plenty, but I don't like to sudden and unpredictable nature of these last couple crashes. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ummm, the bike is basically a 4 stroke version of a CR85 so you might be just a touch heavier & taller than the rider it was intended for. That being the case you are sitting back MUCH farther than intended which I bet you can figure out the concequences of that. AND you are causing the suspension to ride much further down in the travel tha intended which again is not going to help keep the front planted. On top of that you have a smaller front tire and who knows what condition or terrain it's for. So you got lots of variables. The first to address is either going on a serious diet or getting the proper springs and valving (don't mess with cheating it with heavier oil or spacers).

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
I'm 6' tall, a diet is the last thing I need. lol

Why do you say not to "Cheat it" with heavier oil and spacers? Will that not help? A buddy of mine swears by it after doing it to his 150F. Obviously, this is a small bike, I know that, I'm not trying to make it something it's not. I would just like to feel a little safer riding it, the thing is pure fun! When it's not hurting me of course.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
IndyMX said:
Are you sure about that Pat??

He does call it a CRF150F.. That would be the heavy ugly trail bike.

Hey now! yeah, it's ugly, slow, heavy. Now that's out of the way, you can post something useful.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
No offence meant about your heavy ugly trail bike, but it's worlds different than the 150R Pat was thinking of.

My suggestion would be to sell it and get something a bit more suited to your size.

If trail riding is what you're into, find a KDX in good shape. You'll be happy you did.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
I guess I should have mentioned that I already have another bike, this isn't my primary bike. I have an 02 RM125 set up the way I want it. Is there nobody out there that rides a 150F for fun and has modded the forks for a heavier rider? Just looking for some info on this bike, not on which bike I should have bought or what I shouldn't do on this bike. Sorry if I come off as a jerk, that is not my intention. I see tons of big guys riding these bikes, what so you do to the forks?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
DOH! Yes I missed that.

Pretty much same issues but a bit worse since the fork is pretty flexy. I still think springs and valving would be the best solution. If it was really a good idea to pop spacers & heavier oil in you would see kits and it wold be more accepted by tuners.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
me thinks the bike may have a problem, not a suspension badly setup. good tires? good pressure on the tubes? does the suspension compress and reboud smoothly? shock spring too loose or too much compressed? bind forks? nice bearings on the wheel and on the steering head?
if you are some what good with repairs best bet is get a service manual for the bike and start from there...

those bikes will never turn like a rm125 or any racing bike. BUT they are not that bad.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
I'm going to try the spacers and 7wt oil first and see if that makes a difference. It just crazy how soft the forks are, let off the gas and it dives like no other, gas it and the front end jumps up. I think it could definitely use some preload, the top section of the spring is just too soft.

What is the down side to the spacers and heavier oil? Will preloading the forks have a negative impact?

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I do appreciate it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It acts that way because it's setup for somebody 1/2 your weight. Throw a #300 pound guy on your bike and I bet it would do the same thing. So I guess the question is would you feel comfortable doing the same modification to your big bike?

You can choose to do whatever you want, just giving an opinion based on having a modded XR80 and several pitbikes in the trailer.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
My big bike has adjustments on the forks, I would just use those. The 150F has zero adjustments on the suspension. Are there negative effects to spacers and heavier oil?

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
motul makes 20-30 wt fork oil for standard forks, I run it in my kx65 road racer and like it alot. I also like the idea of preload spacers.

there are risks of problems with too heavy of fork oil, but I have not experienced it with the 20-30 wt even in my 65...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Your RM has the ability to adjust the spring rate for a rider of 300 pounds? Wow that's pretty cool, most bikes require a spring swap to adjust for a heavier rider and just have compression & rebound adjustments. :think: I think I've been here before.

Think about it for a second and MAYBE it will become clear. If not the think about it this way. Are their heavier springs available? Yes. Are there spacer kits available? Don't think so. Why? It's not because it's so easy to make your own, people pay for all sorts of things that don't work or they could build themselves. Maybe because there is no market for them right? Well if there was no market then why is there one for more expensive parts like oh say springs?

What you propose to do has been done, it will basically work but it won't be a long term solution and it won't totally solve and very well could aggrivate the situation. The stock forks are weak in more than just the spring rate & valving when subjected to over design spec riders / use. See how thin the tube wall is? See how small a diameter the tubing is? Look at the triple clamps, the head on the frame, the steering head bearings, the welds on the frame, the design of the frame... it's about more than just making it stiffer. The best solution would be to swap to a 85 MX'er fork and then change the rear to match. It's been done, it's a lot more expensive than a spring swap or spacers and heavy oil but it also works better.

So the short answer is YES there are negative effects to spacers and heavier oil. Just like there is to running without an air filter or riding without a helmet. People do those things all the times so it's not that it won't work...

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
I'm sensing a little attitude, no need for that man. I'm just trying to guage my options and was wondering what negative effect the spacers might have. I'm looking into springs and revalve too.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You asked a question, got answers some of which you didn't want to hear so you asked again and got the same answers with more specific details you should really consider since it's about more than just making the fork stiffer, and you aparently didn't want to hear that either. :laugh: You also heard that it has been done so why not run with that answer? Isn't that what you wanted to hear? :laugh: Don't expect a group to give one answer that everyone agrees with.

I'm trying to get you to look at the big picture and realize there are multiple areas that could be effected by your choice. Start in a logical path and resolve the problem, don't run around throwing "solutions" at the problem just because it's cheap especially if they may very well only make it worse. Do a little research and you will see plenty of people have already run down this path and the solution was not the cheapest hack job. Again you can choose to do it how ever you want just don't expect great results. Can it be any more clear?

I've done a suspension swap and it wasn't a simple process. It was woth all the time, effort & $$ I put in to it but I learned alot as well.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
Well in fairness, you were a smart ass in most of your reponses and you were not even talking about the correct bike in your first response. It's all good though, I'm not here to argue, just to learn. Thanks for your time.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
BigYZ said:
Well in fairness, you were a smart ass in most of your reponses and you were not even talking about the correct bike in your first response. It's all good though, I'm not here to argue, just to learn. Thanks for your time.

You may need to change your perspective, Pat didn't seem like a smart ass at all.. He just didn't sugar coat his responses.

You're lucky Rich hasn't chimed in. He's a lot less delicate about this sort of thing.

We are all a decent bunch, usually with good information, however, most of us don't suffer fools and don't really care to debate non-sense.

Read more on here and you'll see that.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
Look at my join date, I may not have 5000 posts but I read a lot.

Is what I'm asking non-sense? I didn't think it was. I'm no fool either, or maybe I am for riding a heavy slow ugly trail bike far harder than what it was designed for. :)

I'm a nice guy, maybe I came off like an idiot, who knows. My personality doesn't translate well on the interent it seems.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
I also failed to mention the spring are progressive, which is why I though the spacers would work. Just take out the top softer section.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
As you pointed out yes I indeed did initially had the wrong bike, since you only mentioned "F" in the title and made it sound like you were Johnny Racer I assumed it was an "R" I also seemed to assume a level of understanding which is quickly been proven to not exist. If you will note I also quickly corrected myself and it really makes no difference which bike we're talking about a hack job is a hack job. Who really cares if the springs are progressive? You are changing the designed functionality of a key piece of your bike. By making things "stiffer" you are going to be transferring more loads to areas that may not be designed for them.

Have I missed anything yet?

You have proven that reading might very well be a better way to operated except that it would seem what you do read doesn't sink in so maybe not.

If you want some snuggle time that is not my problem because I am not your guy. You don't like what I have to say or how it is said that's not my problem either. I don't show up here and slip in to my tennis shoes and sweater and sing "Won't you be my neighbor" because I am not Mr. Rogers.

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
Please won't you be.....My Neighbor!

Come on Pat, slip on that sweater and fire up the trolly.

Speaking of which, I have a trolly that the front end feels really soft on. I'm thinking it could use some preload spacers........ Lighten up! :nener:

Top Bottom