LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Well i guess we decided im gonna go for the CRF150r Expert but we were hoping it would be less than $100 a month if we finance it :laugh: But we called a couple honda dealers near by and one said it would be $120 a month but if u come in we might be able to lower it and the other emailed me and said $112 and i was wondering if that was a high price for them?? We were hoping for about $60 a month for a long time but i guess not... :(

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't finance toys! If you are having issues with $100 per month then you must have other items that are more important to cover with that money and you should take care of them first. You are buying a toy that will instantly depriciate by $1000 and will loose several hindred dollars of "value" each year after that.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Want and need aren't the same thing. ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I financed my truck but it was for 60 months at 0% so it's free money. If I would have had to pay more than 2.9% I wouldn't be driving in until the dollars were in the bank. As has been pointed out need and want are two different ends of the spectrum. Confusing them can easily lead to a financial situation you do not want to be in. Select a good used bike that is in a price range you can afford to pay CASH for and you will be on the road to making sound financial choices. If you can't afford anything right now then take the monthly payment you planned on and put it away then find some other means of getting money and put it away as well with the goal being a bike. You might be suprised how quickly you can get to a reasonable goal. Best of all when you buy it the bike will be yours then when you sell it you will have more money for the next one. Keep saving after you buy it and pretty soon you'll be able to buy a brand new bike with cash.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
LEllis7motox said:
said $112 and i was wondering if that was a high price for them??
car salesmen are going to love you in the future--NEVER buy anything based on the monthly payment. They can make that payment as low as you want but the lower it goes the lower the odds also go of you ever owning the item free and clear.
$112 per month x 36 months = $4032 now how much did that bike cost you?
$60 per month x 36 months = $2160 no way you are getting that without paying down at least $2000

When you figured $60 per month did you just divide the price by the number of months you wanted to pay for? Did you remember that you also have to pay someone for loaning you the money (interest)? The interest on bikes for someone in your situation will probably be close to 20%.

Now factor in 36 payments from now will you even fit on that bike?
Buy a good used one and as everyone said before keep saving your pennies towards a new bike paid for with cash. If nothing else at least try to save your expected payments for the next year and see how hard that is with all the other goodies you will want in life between now and then

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So here's a better idea. Sell your 125L because you'll get more than a dealer will give you one trade. Then tak that money and the $1000 down payment and buy a really nice CR/YZ/RM/KX/SX 85/100/105 and own it free and clear. The 150R is a neat little bike no doubt, my neighbor kid has one but not really faster than a 85cc two stroke as it all depends on the rider as to how fast a given bike really is.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
The thing is my dad does not want me to get a 2-stroke due to maintenence because i have been wanting a kx100, but i also have been wanting to know if the 150r has more maintenence than the kx100? Also is the cr85r better than the kx100?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's a 4 stroke, of course it'll be more maintenance intensive...

It has valves.. That right there should settle it. really, you can tear a two stroke apart at the track.. No problem.. I wouldn't suggest doing that with a 4 stroke though.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
oh wow we have a problem here 2 stroke more maintenance than a high performance 4 it's the exact opposite now days. not saying bad on the 4s my dad has a crf450r and i like it a lot it's just he has the money and time to maintain i don't but i see my self in the near future on one.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Ok got it 2-stroke now what two stroke... if not the cr85r expert then the kx100 but i heard the cr85r expert is really good so idk which is faster and which has better suspension, do u want me to start a new topic or no?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The 2 strokes require topends regularily (it will depend on how well you maintain the bike and how hard you twist the throttle) as well as regular oil changes. On all 2 strokes you will need to make sure the air filter is always clean, the chain is lubed and properly set, all bearings greased and the whole bike kept clean.
4 Strokes require the same regular maitanence but add in that you will need to verify the valves are in spec and replace them when needed.
A 2 stroke topend can be done at the track in less then 1/2 hour where as a 4 stroke really should be done in a clean enviroment and takes about 1 1/2 hours. The cost of a 2 stroke is about $75 to 100 (done by yourself) the 4 stroke is probably comparable until the valves need to be replaced then add in another $300- 500 depending on how much work is needed in the head.
Cost between a 100 and a 85 will be very close for parts whereas 4 stroke parts are slightly more. To learn upkeep you are far better off learning on a 2 stroke as they tend to be a lot more user friendly and forgiving

That is as close as I can guess not having had anyting smaller then a 250F in the past 5 years.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I guess it would be helpful to know do you currently race or no?

Do you plan to race?

Yes it makes a huge difference and honesty is very helpful in providing accurate answers.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The get the 2 stroke it will be a lot better bike for what you are doing. My son was pretty much the same type of rider with off road thrown in. The stock CR85 was great because he's an aggressive rider and when we had Eric Gorr build the 102 engine it was awesome! The KX100 is a great bike as well and might be both a bit easier to ride and a bit more growing room. If your dad still isn't convinced send him here and we'll try and help him make the choice that will offer less headache to him since several of us are dads as well.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
OK well my dad has been working doubles the last couple days so i have not been able to talk to him but tommorow he is off so i will talk to him.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Service Intervals for the CRF150R direct from Honda

LEllis7motox said:
The thing is my dad does not want me to get a 2-stroke due to maintenence because i have been wanting a kx100, but i also have been wanting to know if the 150r has more maintenence than the kx100?

These are the service intervals Honda is recommending for the new CRF150R engine.

Valve clearance check - After the break in ride and every 6 races or 15 hours after that. No specific interval on valve or valve spring replacement. We'll be tracking that out here. It should be interesting to see how well the steel valves hold up. I'll be using a high end Rimac spring tester to watch the rate at which the valve springs lose their pressure. This gives a good indication of the spring quality and relative severity of the cam dynamics.

Piston, rings, piston pin - Replace every 6 races or 15 hours. It's a single compression ring slipper skirt piston similar to the CRF250F. It's running clearance (piston to wall) is tight at 0.0006"- 0.0015" , and the upper limit on clearance is 0.003". This is a REAL race engine, it's not a trail bike so "cheating" on the piston maintenance won't be easy.

The cylinder head is built like the CRF450 and uses a separate cartridge type carrier for the cam, and a bolt on cam sprocket. That's great from a maintenance and cost standpoint if a head ever has to be replaced. It also makes shimming the valves much simpler.
The bolt on cam sprocket opens up a whole range of cheap tuning opportunities. It uses standard bucket lifters on the intake, and a pair of offset roller rockers for the exhaust.

It's a fantastic bike, but this is a high maintenance RACE engine that needs to be treated like one. Guys who skip the maintenance end up with repair bills that cost more than a brand new CR85.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
Want and need aren't the same thing. ;)

True...but a want usually takes priority. A need can usually be substituted and maybe even ignored for a time but a want, well......figure the odds. :laugh:

Top Bottom