medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I hate to do this but I'm going to put a 9 oz. flywheel in my Honda. Someone said I would have to rejet it? Has anyone done this to their bike? Was there much difference in the power delivery?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you are currently jetted properly for your condition why would you need to rejet when you are not making any changes to the intake or exhaust of the engine? Perhaps you need to get this expert to explain things further.

I have installed FWW's on a few of our bikes. They can make a very noticable change in how the power "feels". The bike will seem to have a softer hit and is less likely to stall in slow conditions. You will feel like you are getting better traction and in most instances that is because you are, less spinning of the rear wheel.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This engine is a poor candidate to be "tamed" by a flywheel weight. The cam timing and intake area is too radical for this sort of bandaid fix. All you'll accomplish is to make it sluggish. A much better (although more $$) is to use a Rekluse clutch in it. The Rekluse will make the bike much more rideable without killing off it's natural strong points.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
medwaste said:
I hate to do this but I'm going to put a 9 oz. flywheel in my Honda. Someone said I would have to rejet it? Has anyone done this to their bike? Was there much difference in the power delivery?
No you do not have to rejet it who ever told you that is wrong and like what Patman said is ture if it currently jetted properly for your condition stock then you don't need do anything.

Rich Rohrich said:
This engine is a poor candidate to be "tamed" by a flywheel weight. The cam timing and intake area is too radical for this sort of bandaid fix. All you'll accomplish is to make it sluggish. A much better (although more $$) is to use a Rekluse clutch in it. The Rekluse will make the bike much more rideable without killing off it's natural strong points
That is so wrong all it dose is smoothing out power delivery to make it more manageable and very uesdful for women trail rider.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SHSPVR said:
That is so wrong all it dose is smoothing out power delivery to make it more manageable and very uesdful for women trail rider.

Sadly it doesn't, but feel free to believe otherwise.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
HAHA!! Man, don't go down this path.. I promise you, you are just opening a can of worms you can't contain.

I'm fairly certain that Rich has forgotten more about motorcycle engines than you'll ever know.

If you dig around, you'll see some really interesting photos of the CRF150R engine he tore down just to inspect and take pictures of.

Stop while you are ahead.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SHSPVR said:
Rich do you even own a CRF150R my guest is you don't I do

Guest again genius. :rotfl:

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
IndyMX said:
HAHA!! Man, don't go down this path.. I promise you, you are just opening a can of worms you can't contain.

I'm fairly certain that Rich has forgotten more about motorcycle engines than you'll ever know.

If you dig around, you'll see some really interesting photos of the CRF150R engine he tore down just to inspect and take pictures of.

Stop while you are ahead.
So he tore down CRF150R engine and your point is what to that?.
Like I said dose he even own a CRF150R and dose he ride ever weekend as I ride mine ever weekend and ever other weekend in Wellsville, Ohio Trails.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
SHSPVR said:
So he tore down CRF150R engine and your point is what to that?.
Like I said dose he even own a CRF150R and dose he ride ever weekend as I ride mine ever weekend and ever other weekend in Wellsville, Ohio Trails.
Sorry to tell you but yes he owns one rides it and has torn it down (before he rode it) just to see what makes it tick.
IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3756copy.jpg

Rich tends to buy a bike then tear it down to see what can be done to it to make it even better and when he says something is or isn't possible I am smart enough to believe him

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Oh crap, an 06er just called out rich, this should get interesting.

As was stated, quit while you are slightly behind and not really far behind.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
You guys are so funny. But back to the original post, kind of, I had the bike lowered and an 11 oz. flywheel installed and it has made a world of difference for me. Less stalling and the rear wheel doesn't spin out as much. The bike still has more power than I'll ever need. I would love to have a Rekluse clutch now that I've seen how they work. $$

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
medwaste said:
You guys are so funny. But back to the original post, kind of, I had the bike lowered and an 11 oz. flywheel installed and it has made a world of difference for me.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. :cool:

Top Bottom