Jul 1, 2005
Well... I had an 2001 RM250 for a couple years, barely rode it because of time constraints, sold it. Really miss it, but now it seems like the bike to have are the CRF-X's. or the WRs I'm pretty set on buying the Honda because both bikes get great reviews, that twin spar frame is awesome, and the bike just looks kick a$$. I ride trails only, and I am looking towards the 450x because I'm kinda used to the more than ample amount of power my RM250 had... So..

I know a guy who just got a CRF250X and said the power is sweet and should be plenty.. He's around 5'10 and 190ish. I'm 5'8 160ish.. The 250x is probably just fine for me, but I'm the kind of fool who always goes for the gusto because I don't want to say "should have just got the 'better, bigger' one." At $7199 the price is a little steep, but man that bike sure looks sweet. I will def. ride the 250x before I buy, but even if the 250x feels good, the grass is always greener on the other side... So.. decisions, decision.. what do you think?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
From your signature, I think you have already made up your mind!
The 250 goes plenty quick. Do you like to be able to ride a bike aggressively, or not?

Jul 1, 2005
Well, I like to be able to "punch it" and scare myself a little... I think I'm a wheelie nut too... Just knowing all that power is available if and when I need it is quite comforting... and exhilerating when it comes on!
I also like to do some jumping too... the rare triple comes to mind...

RVL

Mar 3, 2000
Get the 450X. I know some 250X owners that are switching to the 450X after riding one.
I bought a 450X and love it. And once you jet it and do the pink wire mod, it doesn't need any more fiddling with the engine. It is a great trail bike, and is fast. Pin it and grin type fast.

Aug 26, 2005
tenyearsgone79 said:
Well... I had an 2001 RM250 for a couple years, barely rode it because of time constraints, sold it. Really miss it, but now it seems like the bike to have are the CRF-X's. or the WRs I'm pretty set on buying the Honda because both bikes get great reviews, that twin spar frame is awesome, and the bike just looks kick a$$. I ride trails only, and I am looking towards the 450x because I'm kinda used to the more than ample amount of power my RM250 had... So..

I know a guy who just got a CRF250X and said the power is sweet and should be plenty.. He's around 5'10 and 190ish. I'm 5'8 160ish.. The 250x is probably just fine for me, but I'm the kind of fool who always goes for the gusto because I don't want to say "should have just got the 'better, bigger' one." At $7199 the price is a little steep, but man that bike sure looks sweet. I will def. ride the 250x before I buy, but even if the 250x feels good, the grass is always greener on the other side... So.. decisions, decision.. what do you think?

So you want an X because it's "the bike to have"? The 250 2-strokes are better than ever now, although overshadowed by all the money/hype put into the 4-strokes, and of course the smog nazis.

I have nothing against 4-strokes, in fact, I would love to add a 250X to my garage as a woods bike. The heavier/more powerful 450 is not exactly an ideal tight woods bike, whereas the 250X is great and still makes probably 30+ HP and can rev to around 13,000 rpm if it is competitive with the Yamaha. I remember when a 250cc 4-stroke was more like 20 HP and lucky to rev to 9,000 rpm, they have come a long way. If you ride MX/open areas, I think you would quickly tire of the 250X and would be better off with either a 2-stroke or 450X.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
2-stroke diehard said:
So you want an X because it's "the bike to have"? The 250 2-strokes are better than ever now, although overshadowed by all the money/hype put into the 4-strokes, and of course the smog nazis.

I have nothing against 4-strokes, in fact, I would love to add a 250X to my garage as a woods bike. The heavier/more powerful 450 is not exactly an ideal tight woods bike, whereas the 250X is great and still makes probably 30+ HP and can rev to around 13,000 rpm if it is competitive with the Yamaha. I remember when a 250cc 4-stroke was more like 20 HP and lucky to rev to 9,000 rpm, they have come a long way. If you ride MX/open areas, I think you would quickly tire of the 250X and would be better off with either a 2-stroke or 450X.

AGREE

PiperFlyer

Feb 28, 2007
I'm facing the same dilema on which bike to buy. My question is: with the extra 30 pounds on the 450, how much handling do you sacrifice? And, is jumping with a heavier bike disadvantageous? I'm a new rider and deciding between the two bikes, as well. People I've talked to with Yamaha 250 four strokes seem quite happy with the power.

Benski

I trail ride a 2013 Honda CRF250X.
Mar 29, 2017
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
The way I look at it, I weight under 160 lbs. and mostly ride tight, steep trails with a lot of obstacles, so the 250 makes more sense for me, and that is what I bought. I'm very happy with it. If I were 200+ lbs. and/or rode wide open places like deserts, I'd get the 450. I don't want the added weight, and don't needed the added power of the 450 for my size and type of riding.

xknx

Mar 17, 2019

Well I like both but, i think you must get the 450X

Top Bottom