DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
It is a lot more rocky than Muenster, a lot less rocky than Talahina. I have never been to Barnwell. The trails are well marked and one way. As long as your not scared of a couple of rocks you should enjoy it.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
hey darron!! long time no hear from. hope things have been going well.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
07 has been a busy year! The family is doing great. Got one about to turn 18 and the other 16. Your daughter and son are growing up before your eyes? Hang on because every year gets faster.

I see you still have the FZ1. Been able to go anywhere on it? I have had my Zrx out for a couple of weekend jaunts but nothing longer. I have found dualsporting and man is it a blast. Went to Mexico back in January. All I can say is that I cant wait to go back. We also did an Arkansas dualsport trip in Sept. It too, was great. 890miles of dirt in 6 days.

How is the Sulpher River riding area shaping up?

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Yeah, the kids are growing up fast. My son will be 6 in December and my daughter will be 10 next September.

I ran across a great deal on a 2002 XR100 for $500 so I bought it. The owner needed to sell it so I snatched it up. Things to repair: New brakes, sprockets and chain. Cost: $53. The plastic still looks new. It starts and runs great. :)

I've been on a couple of Arkansas trips on the FZ1 but nothing to major. The DS trips sound like fun. May have to pick one up.

Sulphur river is closed until 2009 or so. There are 2 large gas lines being run across it and it was either shut it down until the natural vegetation recovered or go to court and fight emminent domain crap. At least the company did pay them for the 2 years it would be closed.

The issue is that the pipeline company says that they have trouble with the 4 wheelers digging up the dirt when it rains in the areas they lay the pipe so they don't want anyone riding on it period.

Anyway, we need to do a little ride soon.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I love Cross Bar. The trails are tight in sections for the technical riders and wide open in other sections for the more swift loving riders. There's a lot of sharp rock so you WILL chunk some tires, but there are a lot of miles of trail and some really good long climbs. The only setback is if you are looking for a trail full of jumps, whoops, and natural rhythem sections, this isn't your place. I do wish they would incoorperate some more areas that you could air it out, but unfortunately this hasn't happened.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Unfortunately they have fired Brad Black. I don't understand it but last I heard it is closed.

I don't know who is at the other end of the phone now but it might be a good idea to send an email to www.Daviscityhall@cableone.net before heading that way.

That is also the place to send and email to let them know that they got rid of a great guy that will be difficult to replace.

roxo56

Jul 29, 2007
Hi all, noobie here.
I just rode xmas day at crossbar for the first time. I usually ride the trails of muenster but decided to try crossbar. Glad I did ! I would place it a little down the difficulty scale from Muenster. A bit more open woods with a lot more up and down topography. A few more rocks in certain sections. Much better creek crossings (no quicksand like muenster). It was far better marked with directional arrows and therefore less likely to get lost. However, I've heard talk of either Bill's woods or land just like it recently being added to the Muenster area. Nothing else is close to Bill's woods anywhere I ever ridden. Snotty, nasty, off-camber, face slapping, unforgiving trails. Perfect.

Crossbar is like a cross between Muenster and Lake Greeson. :yikes:

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
roxo56 said:
However, I've heard talk of either Bill's woods or land just like it recently being added to the Muenster area. Nothing else is close to Bill's woods anywhere I ever ridden. Snotty, nasty, off-camber, face slapping, unforgiving trails. Perfect.
Yep, and it will be single-track only, but only for special events. The terrain is a bit different than Bill's woods, but plenty of elevation change and plenty of potential for some difficult trails.

roxo56

Jul 29, 2007
Are you sure ?
From their website it looks like they're opening/adding that 160 acres to the "normal" terrain. I know that Bill's woods is generally only open for race weekends or (when the fence is down) rare occasions.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
roxo56 said:
Are you sure ?
From their website it looks like they're opening/adding that 160 acres to the "normal" terrain. I know that Bill's woods is generally only open for race weekends or (when the fence is down) rare occasions.

I am 99% certain that the "new" property being referenced is on the east side, near Pete's Gate. They used this section in the last LMS race and closed it back off a few weeks later.

From: http://www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com/RRMT Website/parknews.html

"As a tribute to RRMT, Inc.'s roots, the property will be for motorcycles exclusively, particularly due to its heavily wooded terrain. Furthermore, it will be used as a special event property."

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Costa Rica is over by Pete's Gate; there's also a new, larger section near Bill's Woods; call it Madagascar. I hear it's a lot like Bill's Woods, but, like Costa Rica, it's not open except for special events.

gkoenig

Feb 19, 2007
The nice lady that owns RR said last weekend that they will open up Bills woods after they install a M/C gate to prevent ATV access. They want to keep it single track only, thank God. I've been riding up there since 93 and cant beleive what the quads have done to the place, oh well, gotta share I guess.
I also heard the manager got fired at Cross bar a couple months ago and they shut it down for a while, have the re-opened it since then?

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
gkoenig said:
I also heard the manager got fired at Cross bar a couple months ago and they shut it down for a while, have the re-opened it since then?
Yes, it is open.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
The guy that used to take money up at Cross Bar was a very nice guy, but I don't think he was much of a manager. It was pretty hard to get a hold of him and you never knew if he was going to be around or not. I know some people had run-ins with him when they didn't know where to park, where to unload, or etc... and he would really get after them but it would have been resolved if he would have just been where he was supposed to be. I really hope to see that place take off because it is a great place to ride. I also hope they get a bit of a mx track built because then it would have everything and would be worth driving out to nowhere to ride...

headbanger

May 7, 2000
We were there last winter and the Manager seemed like a good guy to us. He was a little long winded, or we were just very excited to ride after a cold winter in MN!
It was a fun place to ride, I hope it takes off.
Bob in Mn

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
headbanger said:
We were there last winter and the Manager seemed like a good guy to us. He was a little long winded, or we were just very excited to ride after a cold winter in MN!
It was a fun place to ride, I hope it takes off.
Bob in Mn

Absolutely, he's a very good guy. I think he just isn't exactly management material, which I'm not either. I think that takes a very driven person...

Top Bottom