woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well, my buddy and I finished the Connector thispast weekend and I gotta tell you guys - IT WAS AWESOME!!
Here are some trail notes:
- In college my economics prof would go on and on about how important consumer preconceived ideas can be and how they can actually sway economic trends. I had the preconceived idea that this trip was going to be mostly road/2 tracks - MAN WAS I WRONG! BEAUTIFUL TRAIL!!!!!!
- west end of connector is very poorly marked, if your on the west side n/s mccct and want to hook onto the connector watch closely because you could end up in Boardman (we did - LOL).
- trail from Walton to Moorestown is real fast paced! I never knew there was that much black dirt left in Michigan - it was great! I also never knew LMC owned that much property - WOW!!
- it was fun riding the area that "world class riders" have raced on!
- We were at the "store" in Moorestown - I asked a guy standing in line at the cashier if there was a resturant in the area - he gave us directions back to Lake City. Thankfully, Before we left for Lake City I asked the cashier if she new of one closer. She looked at me real funny like and said "yea- right back there (pointing to the rear of store). Sure enough...
- Camping at trailhead in Moorestown was fun. Best nights rest I have had in a long time. Especially after riding 10 hours/165 miles of trail! We left a goodly supply of firewood in the fire ring for anyone wanting to build the next fire! Oh yea, the logging trucks start coming thru about 6 am so if your goig to do it plan on an early ride start..
- Moorestown to Geels was very good trail. Real nice open single track!
-Geels area can be whooped up pretty good!
- Geels to the "Motosport park" was really tricky riding. Some yo-yo's took down ALOT of MCCCT signs and it was fun trying to fiqure out which trails to take (ahh the adventure!).
- stopped at a spot just short of Geels to check out a oil/gas derrick/pump. You guys know what I am talking about- they look like a giant bird dipping their head up and down :) . I have never seen one up close - pretty cool!
- stopped at a beaver dam in the area - really neat piece of work those beavs did!
- Stopped at the "motor sport park area" south of geels. Got directions from a local about finding the East side connector. Shoot man, this side is WELL MARKED! Its got actual signs that say which trailto take. If you East siders come over here to the west side dont expect life to be so simple!
- There is BRAND NEW virgin trail from the "park" to Ambrose Lake! I honestly think we were maybe the 3rd or 4th bikes on them! REALLY FUN but slow! Who ever layed it out should be congratulated!
- Ambrose Lake MCCCT going North is some of the prettiest, funnest trail I have riddin in a long time. LOTS OF TIGHT SINGLE STUFF and very little whoops.
- someone posted a questin not to long ago on DRN asking about good trail for beginners. The trail from Amborse lake to Rose city loops would be challenging (because of some trail debris) but VERY good trail to play on! NO WHOOPS once you get into the new stuff! Also, after the Rose City and Meadows the MCCCT gets real nice!!!! Very tight, REAL SINGLE TRACKIN LIKE IT USED TO BE!!
- I left Ambrose lake with a full tank of gas in my KX500, rode to Old 144, came back on the roads and pulled into the Ambrose Lake trail head with no more then 1 teaspoon of gas left - now that is a perfect end to a perfect ride!!
- We didnt finish the North bound MCCCT over there but we are going back at it real soon! Maybe next Monday....
Woodsy

Top Bottom